|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (95) - June, 2020 - Pages: 64-70
Personalized medicine as a basis for occupational diseases prevention
1 Kyiv Taras Shevchenko National University, Kyiv
ÓÄÊ: 613.6: 614.8
Objective: We summarized the results of published research papers related to the development of the main areas of personalized medicine in health care practice, including occupational medicine and definied the prior issues that dictate the need for further study.
Materials and methods: We performed the analysis of literary data on the use of personalized medicine for the prevention of the occupational diseases.
Results: The personalized medicine was established to be a relatively new promising direction for the further development of medical science, its main task is to create an optimum model of the health care system in order to preserve the health of the working-age population. At the present stage of scientific and technological progress development, the crucial in the implementation of the basic principles of personalized medicine (prognostic, personalized, preventive and partner), as an integrative modeling system, is given to the development of information support and molecular genetic methods for the study of public health for the purpose of early detection, prevention and treatment of diseases.
Conclusions: Despite the prospect of using the concept of personalized medicine in the health care system, the domestic information and organizational, regulatory and legal (medical in some cases) base is significantly behind the needs of modern times, which makes it difficult to implement this direction in practice. However, over many years of scientific research in domestic occupational medicine, a fundamental basis has been formed for the further development of the personalized approach to the prevention of health disorders amongworkers. Nowadays some progress is being observed in the field of the search for biomarkers for early diagnosis and prevention of the formation of chronic occupational and work-related pathology, the Register of the Occupational Diseases of Ukraine has been substantiated, the methodology for the assessment and management of occupational risks is being improved, in particular, quantitative assessment of the potential and real danger of work-related exposure which is the basis for the real prevention of occupational pathology as a part of individual approach to the patient. Taking into account the current realities, the solution of the problem of the health preservation in the working requires a comprehensive approach with the involvement of the specialists in various fields: hygienists, occupational therapists, medical geneticists, specialists in the field of information technology, health care organizers.
personalized medicine, biomarkers, information technologies, occupational risk
1. Kundiiev Yu.I. and Nahorna A.M. Profesiine zdorovia v Ukraini. Epidemiolohichnyi analiz [Occupational Health in Ukraine. Epidemiological Analysis]. Kyiv : Avitsena ; 2006 :316 p. (in Ukrainian).
2. Vasilyeva O.S., Kuzmina L.P. and Kolyaskina M.M. Professionalnaya bronkhialnaya astma ot vozdeystviya aerozoley polivinilkhlorida: fenotipy zabolevaniya [Occupational Bronchial Asthma from Exposure to Polyvinyl Chloride Aerosols: Disease Phenotypes]. Meditsina truda I promyshlennaya ekologiya. 2018 ;12 :14-18 (in Russian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.31089/1026-9428-2018-12-14-18
3. Cherniuk V.I., Andrushchenko T.A., Soloviov O.I. and Honcharov O.Ye. Otsinka ryzyku rozvytku bronkholehenevoi patolohii u pratsivnykiv vuhilnoi ta azbestopererobnoi promyslovosti na osnovi hihiienichnoi otsinky umov pratsi ta rezultativ kliniko-henealohichnoho obstezhennia [Assessment of the Risk of Bronchopulmonary Pathology in Coal and Asbestos Processing Industry Workers Based on Hygienic Assessment of Working Conditions and Results of Clinical and Genealogical Examination]. Dovkillia ta zdorovia (Environment&Health). 2019 ; 1 : 38-44 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.32402/dovkil2019.01.038
4. Basanets A.V. and Dolinchuk L.V. Khronichne obstruktyvne zakhvoriuvannia lehen ta henetychna skhylnist [Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Genetic Susceptibility]. Dovkillia ta zdorovia (Environment&Health). 2017 ; 1 : 4-10 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.32402/dovkil2017.01.004
5. Nahorna À.Ì., Pyatnitsa-Gorpynchenk oN.Ê., Êînonova I.G. and Sokolova M.P. Substantiation of the InformationSupport System for Computer Technologies in Accounting and Analysis of Occupational Pathology. Ukrainskyi zhurnal z problem medytsyny pratsi. 2018 ; 1(54) : 3-14. DOI : https://doi.org/10.33573/ujoh2018.01.003
6. Bukhtiyarov I.V., Bobrov A.F., Denisov E.I., Eremin A.L., Kuryerov N.N., Losik T.K., Pochtareva E.S., Prokopenko L.V. et al. Metody otsenki professionalnogo riska i ikh informatsionnoye obespecheniye [Methods for the Assessment of the Professional Risk and Their Information Support]. Gigiiena i sanitariia. 2019 ; 98 (12) : 1327-1330 (in Russian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.18821/0016-9900-2019-98-12-1327-1330
7. Kuzmina L.P., Kolyaskina M.M., Lazarashvili N.A., Bezrukavnikova L.M., Izmerova N.I., Sanin V.Yu. et al. Sovremennyye meditsinskiye tekhnologii v diagnostike i otsenke riska razvitiya professionalnykh zabolevaniy [Modern Medical Technologies in the Diagnosis and Assessment of the Risk of the Development of the Occupational Diseases]. Meditsina truda I promyshlennaya ekologiya. 2013 ; 7 : 9-13 (in Russian).
8. Hrechkivska N.V. Struktura profesiinoi zakhvoriuvanosti pratsivnykiv pevnykh katehorii na pidpryiemstvakh mista Kyieva [Structure of the Occupational Morbidity of Workers of Certain Categories at the Enterprises of the City of Kyiv]. Liky Ukrainy plius. 2013 ; 1 : 42-45 (in Ukrainian).
9. Cherniuk V.I. and Vitte P.M. Otsinka ryzykiv zdoroviu ta upravlinnia nymy yak problema medytsyny pratsi [Health Risk Assessment and Management as a Problem in Occupational Medicine]. Ukrainskyi zhurnal z problem medytsyny pratsi. 2005 ; 1 : 47-53 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.33573/ujoh2005.01.047
10. Oriekhova O.V. Profesiina zakhvoriuvanist u pratsivnykiv hirnycho-metalurhiinoi haluzi Ukrainy [Occupational Morbidity in Workers of the Mining and Metallurgical Industry of Ukraine]. Visnyk problem biolohii ta medytsyny. 2015 ; Iss. 4 ; 2 (125) : 104-111. (in Ukrainian).
11. Hrechkivska N.V. Strukturno-funktsionalna model nadannia profpatolohichnoi dopomohy pratsiuiuchym u suchasnykh umovakh [Structural and Functional Model of Professional Pathological Assistance to the Working under Modern Conditions]. Ukrainskyi zhurnal z problem medytsyny pratsi. 2014 ; 4(41) : 3-11(in Ukrainian).
12. Younesi E. and Hofmann-Apities M. From Integrative Disease Modeling to Predictive, Preventive, Personalized and Participatory (P4) Medicine. EPMA J. 2013 ; 4(1) : 23. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1186/1878-5085-4-23
13. Overby C.L. and Tarczy-Hornoch P. Personalized Medicine: Challenges and Opportunities for Translational Bioinformatics. Per. Med. 2013 ;10 (5) : 453-462. DOI : https://doi.org/10.2217/pme.13.30
14. Hood L. and Flores M. A Personal View on Systems Medicine and the Emergence of Proactive P4 Medicine: Predictive, Preventive, Personalized and Participatory. N. Biotechnol. 2012 ; 6 : 613-624. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nbt.2012.03.004
15. Pankov V.A. and Kuleshova M.V. Analiz professionalnoy zabolevayemosti zhenshchin trudosposobnogo vozrasta [Analysis of the Occupational Morbidity in Able-Bodied Women]. Gigiiena i sanitariia. 2019 ; 98 (10) : 1043-1048 (in Russian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.18821/0016-9900-2019-98-10-1056-1061
16. Paltsev M.A. [Personalized Medicine ]. Nauka v Rossii. 2011 ; 1 : 13-17 (in Russian).
17. Andrushchenko T.A., Honcharov S.V., Dolinchuk L.V. and Dosenko V.Ye. Polimorfizm hena XPD (RS799793) i bronkholeheneva patolohiia v pratsivnykiv shkidlyvykh i nebezpechnykh haluzei promyslovosti Ukrainy [XPD Gene Polymorphism (RS799793) and Bronchopulmonary Pathology in the Workers of Harmful and Dangerous Industries of Ukraine]. Ukrainskyi zhurnal z problem medytsyny pratsi. 2018 ; 1 (54) : 61-65 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.33573/ujoh2018.01.061
18. Hood L. Systems Biology and P4 Medicine: Past, Present, and Future. Rambam. Maimonides Med. J. 2013 ; 4(2) :e0012. DOI : https://doi.org/10.5041/RMMJ
19. Rocchiccioli S., Tedeschi L., Citti L. and Cecchettini A. Proteomics and Personalized Medicine. Recenti Prog. Med. 2013 ; 104(5) : 189-99. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1701/1291.14275
20. Golubnitschaja O., Filep N., Yeghiazarayan K., Blom H.J. Hoffman-Apitius M. and Kuhn W. Multi-Omic Approach Decodes Paradoxes of the Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Lessons for Predictive, Preventive and Personalized Medicine. Amino Acids. 2018 ; 50 (3-4) : 383-395. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-017-2524-0
21. Chang R., Shoemaker R. and Wang W. A Novel Knowledge-Driven Systems Biology Approach for Phenotype Prediction upon Genetic Intervention. IEEE/ACM Trans. Comp. Biol. Bioinform. 2011 ;8 (5) : P.1170–1182. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1109/TCBB.2011.18
22. Khabriyev R.I., Kakorina E.P., Kuzmina L.P., Fishman B.B., Prozorova I.V., Raff S.A., Abdulin A.A. and Yukhno M.V. Organizatsionnyye aspekty ranney diagnostiki metabolicheskogo sindroma na osnove vnedreniya novykh geneticheskikh, kletochnykh i bioinformatsionnykh tekhnologiy [Organizational Aspects of the Early Diagnosis of Metabolic Syndrome Based on the Introduction of New Genetic, Cellular and Bioinformation Technologies]. Problemy sotsialnoy gigiyeny i istoriya meditsiny. 2019 ; 5 : 796-802 (in Russian).
23. Kettunen E., Aavikko M., Nymark P., Ruosaari S. et al. DNA Copy Number Loss and Allelic Imbalance at 2p16 in Lung Cancer Associated with Asbestos Exposure. Br. J. Cancer. 2009 ;100(8) :1336-1342. DOI : https://doi.org/0.1038/sj.bjc.6605012.
24. Dudley J.T. and Butte A.J. Identification of Discriminating Biomarkers for Human Disease Using Integrative Network Biology. Pac. Symp. Biocomput. 2009. P. 27–38.
26. Zhang A., Sun H., Wang P., Han Y. and Wang X. Future Perspectives of Personalized Medicine in Traditional Chinese Medicine: a Systems Biology Approach. Complement. Ther. Med. 2012 ; 20(1-2) : 93-99. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2011.10.007
27. Lejbkowicz I., Caspi O. and Miller A. Participatory Medicine and patient Empowerment Towards Personalized Healthcare in Multiple Sclerosis. Expert. Rev. Neurother. 2012 ; 12(3) : 343-352. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1586/ern.11.161
29. Dedov I.I., Tyulpakov A.N., Chekhonin V.P., Baklaushev V.P. et al. Personalizirovannaya meditsina: sovremennoye sostoyaniye i perspektivy [Personalized Medicine: Current State and Prospects]. Vestnik RAMN. 2012 ; 12 : 4-12 (in Russian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.15690/vramn.v67i12.474
30. Zalesskiy V.N. and Movchan B.A. Personalizirovannaya meditsina: perspektivy ispolzovaniya nanobiotekhnologiy [Personalized Medicine: Prospects of the Use of Nanotechnologies]. Ukrainskyi medychnyi chasopys. 2012 ; 1(87) (in Russian).