|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 1 (90) - March, 2019 - Pages: 38-44
Risk assessment of bronchopulmonary pathology in the workers of coal and asbestos processing industries based on a hygienic assessment of the conditions of work and the results of clinical-and-genealogical study
Cherniuk V.I.1, Andrushchenko T.A.1, Soloviov A.I.1, Goncharov A.E.1
1 SI ôKundiev Institute of Occupational Health, National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraineö
Introduction: When establishing the causal relationship of the development of bronchopulmonary pathology with the conditions of work in the workers of main professions in coal and asbestos processing industries, a role of burdened hereditary has not been fully established yet. In particular, can burdened hereditary for bronchopulmonary pathology be a common cause or risk factor for the occurrence of the occupational diseases of respiratory system?
Objective: We found out the dependence of the development of bronchopulmonary pathology among the workers of coal and asbestos processing industries from the influence of the conditions of work and the presence of burdened hereditary susceptibility to respiratory system diseases.
Materials and methods: We applied informative-and-analytical methods: the study of sanitary-and-hygienic characteristics of the conditions of work, materials of the preliminary scientific reports; clinical-and-genealogical research (compilation and analysis of 215 pedigrees).
Results: The causal relationship of the bronchopulmonary pathology with the working conditions of workers in the main professions of the coal and asbestos processing industry has been established. A lower limit of the relative risk (RR) of 1.69 and an upper one of 1.76 units are in compliance with an average risk of the development of bronchopulmonary pathology with an aetiological share of the factor of the conditions of work EF (1) of 41ľ43%. It was found that in the families with burdened heredity of bronchopulmonary pathology, the risk of its development is two times higher than in the control group (FA = 2.1, P≤0.001; χ² = 16.75). Estimation of the aetiological share of the risk of the influence of burdened heredity in the families of the respondents in the EF study (2) indicates a significant (from 47 to 48%) share of the contribution of this factor to the development of bronchopulmonary pathology. In the families where burdened heredity of the respiratory system and professional succession were observed simultaneously, the risk of the development was 1.5 times higher in comparison with the families where there was no burdened history of respiratory system diseases and professional succession (FA = 1.5; P≤0.01 ; χ² = 5.65).
Conclusions: A relatively low risk of the development of bronchopulmonary pathology in analyzed sample can be explained by the existence of other risk factors or a common cause, or features of a non-random selection into the control group.
The obtained coefficients of the family aggregation indicate that in the families with burdened heredity of bronchopulmonary pathology and occupational succession, a risk of the development of this pathology is higher in comparison with the families without positive family cases of respiratory system diseases.
bronchopulmonary pathology, risk assessment, hygienic assessment of the conditions of work, clinical-and-genealogical analysis.
1. Andrushchenko Ď.└. and Basanets └.V. Ukrainskyi zhurnal z problem medytsyny pratsi. 2015 ; 3(44) : 75-82 (in Ukrainian).
2. Kuzmina L.P. Mediko-ekologicheskie problemy zdorovia rabotayushchikh. 2004 ; 2 : 25-30 (in Russian).
3. Mukhin V.V. Meditsina truda v ugolnoy promyshlennosti : monografiya [Occupational Medicine in Coal Industry: Monograph]. Donetsk ; 2002 : 204 p. (in Russian).
4. Nahorna └.╠., Sokolova ╠.P., Vitte P.╠., Kononova I.G. and Piatnytsia-Horpynchenko N.╩. Ukrainskyi zhurnal z problem medytsyny pratsi. 2016 ; 1 (46) : 3-17 (in Ukrainian).
5. International Labour Office (ILO) Natsionalnyi profil z bezpeky ta hihiieny pratsi. Ukraina 2018. Proekt ES-MOP ôZmitsnennia administratsii pratsi z metoyu pokrashchennia umov pratsi I podolannia nezadeklarovanoi pratsiö [National Profile on Occupational Safety and Health. Ukraine 2018. EU-ILO Project "Strengthening of Labour Administration for the Improvement of the Conditions of Work and Overcoming of Undeclared Work". URL : (in Ukrainian). www.ilo.org/UkraineEUProject
6. Perederii G.S., Lastkov D.╬. and Partas ╬.V. Udoskonalennia sanitarno-hihiienichnoho monitorynhu vplyvu umov pratsi na zdorovia hirnykiv vuhilnykh shakht : monohrafiia [Improvement of Sanitary-and-Hygienic Monitoring of the Influence of the Conditions of Work on the Health of Miners in Coal Mines: Monograph]. Donetsk : Svit knyhy ; 2012 : 319 p. (in Ukrainian).
7. Kundiiev Yu.I., Cherniuk V.I. and Vitte P.N. Meditsina truda I promyshlennaia ekologiia. 1999 ; 4 ; 6-9 (in Russian).
8. Buchynska L.G., Polishchuk L.Z. and Hlushchenko N.M. On˝ology. 2006 ; 8 (3) : 245-249 (in Ukrainian).
9. Izmerov N.F. and Denisov E.I. Profrssionalnyi risk dlia zdorovia rabotnikov [Occupational Health Risk for Workers]. Moscow : Trovant ; 2003 : 448 ˝. (in Russian).
10. 1.Nesina I.P., Yurchenko N.P., Hlushchenko N.╠., Proskurnia L.A. and Buchynska L.G. Oncology. 2017 ; 19 (2) : 110-117 (in Ukrainian).
12. Suter C.M., Martin D.L. and Ward R.L. Nat Genet. 2004 ; 36 : 497-501.
13. Vitte P.╠. Metody doslidzhen u epidemiolohii neinfektsiinykh zakhvoriuvan (Dovidkovo-metodychnyi posibnyk) [Methods of Research in the Epidemiology of Non-Infectious Diseases (Reference-and- Methodical Manual)]. Kyiv ; 2005 : 118 p. (in Ukrainian).