|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (95) - June, 2020 - Pages: 59-63
Hygienic assessment of the state of waste management in the Rivne region in 2012-2018
Stankevych V.V.1, Brezytska D.M.2, Hushchuk I.V.2, Hilman A.Y.2, Kulesha N.P.2, Safonov R.V.3, Horonzhevska I.S.3
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
2 SIC "Human Ecology and Public Health" of the National University of Ostroh Academy, Ostroh
3 State Institution "Rivne Regional Laboratory Center of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine", Rivne
Objective: We carried out a hygienic assessment of the state of waste management in the Rivne region in 2012-2018.
Methods: We systematized, processed and analyzedthe research materials with the help of descriptive, dynamic and comparative methods.
Results: Analysis of the data on the amount of generated waste for 2012-2018 showed that in 2013 the amount of waste generation increased and made up 1587.1 thousand tons, and then every year it got smaller, and in 2017 it was 457.7 thousand tons. In 2018 a significant increase in waste generation occurred. The level of utilization (processing) of waste is at a very low level with respect to its formation. The percentage of use was the smallest in 2013 – 8.5%, and the largest in 2017 – 23.7%.
Conclusions: In order to solve sanitary and ecological problems associated with the inefficient waste management, it is currently advisable to build garbage processing facilities. The further work is recommended to study the negative impact of waste both on the state of the environment and on the state of health of the population.
analysis, waste, disposal, landfill, recycling
2. Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 on Waste and Repealing Certain Directives (Text with EEA relevance). Official Journal. L 312 ; 22.11.2008 : 3–30.
3. Council Directive 1999/31/EC of 26 April 1999 on the Landfill of Waste. Official Journal. L 182 ; 16.7.1999 : 1–19.URL : https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:01999L0031-20180704
5. Stankevych V.V., Kostenko A.I. and Trakhtenherts H.Ya. Dosvid zastosuvannia vymoh dyrektyv YeS dlia vyznachennia stupeniu nebezpeky promyslovykh vidkhodiv [Experience in the Application of the Requirements of the EU Directives to Determine the Degree of Risk of Industrial Waste]. Dovkillia ta zdorovia (Environment&Health). 2018 ; 3(88) : 50-56 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.32402/dovkil2018.03.050
6. Stankevych V.V., Kostenko A.I. and Trakhtenherts H.Ya. Vprovadzhennia harmonizovanykh standartiv u sferi povodzhennia z vidkhodamy [Implementation of Harmonized Standards in the Field of Waste Management]. In : Aktualni pytannia hihiieny ta ekolohichnoi bezpeky Ukrainy (dvanadtsiati marzieievski chytannia) : zb. tez dop. nauk.-prakt. konf. [Topical Issues of Hygiene and Environmental Safety of Ukraine (The Twelfth Marzieiev’s Reading): Proc. Conf.]. Kyiv ; 2016 ; 16 : 192-195 (in Ukrainian).
7. Brezytska D.M. and Hushchuk I.V. Problemni pytannia pry povodzhenni z medychnymy vidkhodamy v Ukraini [Problematic Issues in the Management of Medical Waste in Ukraine]. Visnyk sotsialnoi hihiieny ta orhanizatsii okhorony zdorovia Ukrainy. 2019 ; 3(81) : 44-50 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.11603/1681-2786.2019.3.10591
8. Department of Ecology and Natural Resources of Rivne Oblast State Administration. Dopovid pro stan navkolyshnoho pryrodnoho seredovyshcha v Rivnenskii oblasti u 2013 r. [Report on the State of the Environment in Rivne Oblast in 2013]. Rivne, Ukraine ; 2014 : 128-134. (in Ukrainian). URL : http://www.ecorivne.gov.ua/tmp/dopovid_2013.pdf
9. Department of Ecology and Natural Resources of Rivne Oblast State Administration. Dopovid pro stan navkolyshnoho pryrodnoho seredovyshcha v Rivnenskii oblasti u 2018 r. [Report on the State of the Environment in Rivne Oblast in 2018]. Rivne, Ukraine ; 2019 : 118-124. (in Ukrainian). URL : http://www.ecorivne.gov.ua/report_about_environment/
10. Lyko D.V. and Hushchuk I.V. Problemni pytannia shchodo povodzhennia z vidkhodamy ta yikh utylizatsii v Rivnenskii oblasti [Problematic Issues of Waste Management and Utilization in Rivne Oblast]. Ekolohiia dovkillia ta bezpeka zhyttiediialnosti. 2008 ; 5 : 47-49 (in Ukrainian).