|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 3 (100) - September, 2021 - Pages: 44-48
Electromagnetic fields as an eco-hygienic problem of our time
Dumanskyi V.Yu.1, Koziarin I.P.2, Ivakhno O.P.2
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
2 P. L. Shupyk National Medical Academy for Post-Graduate Education, Kyiv
ÓÄÊ: 613.6: 614.875:504:537
Objective: We performed the eco-hygienic assessment of electromagnetic fields as an environmental factor under modern conditions.
Materials and methods: We determined a range of issues on the significance of electromagnetic fields of various frequencies and intensities in human vital activity on the basis of the analysis of scientific literature.
Results and discussion: Taking into account the further development of the national economy of the country, safety and protection of the population from the effects of electromagnetic fields both in industry and everyday life remain one of the urgent problems, taking into consideration that their biological effect on the human organism is very complex and has not been completely studied. In this regard, special attention should be paid to the use of hand-held telephones and computers which are used by the people of different age, gender and physiological state of the organism. Therefore, the existing protection measures against the negative effect of EMF require further improvement and refinement.
Conclusions: Protection of the population from the adverse effects of electromagnetic radiation of various frequencies and intensities has been and remains an urgent eco-hygienic problem of mankind, and medical workers, engineers, biologists, ecologists and other specialists should participate in its solution.
electromagnetic field, biological effect, health of the population, preventive measures
1. Honcharuk Ye.H. Komunalna hihiiena: pidruchnyk [Communal Hygiene: Textbook]. Kyiv : Zdorovia; 2003 : 540-552 (in Ukrainian).
2. Grigoryev Yu.G. Elektromagnitnyye polya i zdorovye naseleniya [ Electromagnetic Fields and Health of the Population]. Gigiena i sanitariia. 2003 ; 3 : 14-16 (in Russian).
3. Dumanskyi V. Yu., Hryhorenko L. Ye., Ostanina N. V. et al. Do pytannia pro mozhlyvi mekhanizmy rozvytku imunnoi vidpovidi orhanizmu na diiu elektromahnitnykh poliv promyslovoi chastoty [On the Possible Mechanisms of the Development of the Immune Response of the Organism to the Exposure of Electromagnetic Fields of Industrial Frequency]. In : Fizychni faktory dovkillia ta yikh vplyv na formuvannia zdorovia naselennia Ukrainy: mater. nauk.-prakt. konf. [Physical Factors of the Environment and their Influence on the Formation of the Health of the Population of Ukraine: Mater. Scientific and Practical Conf.]. Kyiv; 2020 : 22-24 (in Ukrainian).
4. Dunayev V.N. Vklad sredstv sotovoy svyazi v formirovaniye dozy elektromagnitnykh izlucheniy i riska populyatsionnomu zdorovyu [The Contribution of Cellular Communication to the Formation of the Dose of Electromagnetic Radiation and the Risk to Population Health]. In : Zdorovye i okruzhayushchaya sreda: mater. nauch. konf. [Health and Environment : Mater. Sci. Conf.]. Moscow ; 2006 : 98-100 (in Russian).
5. Zakharchenko M.P., Shcherbak Yu.A., Moskalenko V.F. et al. Sovremennyye, problemy ekogigiyeny (vtoroye izdaniye. dopolnennoye i pererabotannoye) [Modern Problems of Eco-Hygiene (Second Edition, Supplemented and Revised]. Kiev ; 2008 : 252-310 (in Russian).
6. Kostiuk I.F. and Kapustnyk V.A. Profesiini khvoroby: Pidruchnyk [Occupational Diseases: Textbook]. Kyiv : Zdorovia ; 2003 : 343-353 (in Ukrainian).
7. Bardov V.H. (Ed.) Osnovy ekolohii: Pidruchnyk [Fundamentals of Ecology: Textbook]. Vinnytsia ; 2013 : 167-174 (in Ukrainian).
8. Rozov V.Yu., Pielievin D.Ye. and Kundius K.D. Vplyv na zhytlove seredovyshche elektromahnitnoho polia miskykh transformatornykh pidstantsii [The Impact of the Electromagnetic Field of Urban Transformer Substations on the Living Environment ]. In : Fizychni faktory dovkillia ta yikh vplyv na formuvannia zdorovia naselennia Ukrainy: mater. nauk.-prakt. konf. [Physical Factors of the Environment and their Influence on the Formation of the Health of the Population of Ukraine: Mater. Scientific and Practical Conf.]. Kyiv; 2020 : 24-26 (in Ukrainian).
9. Serdiuk A.M., Dumanskyi V.D., Nikitina N.H. et al. Hihiienichni aspekty elektromahnitnoi bezpeky v Ukraini [Hygienic Aspects of Electromagnetic Safety in Ukraine]. In : Fizychni faktory dovkillia ta yikh vplyv na formuvannia zdorovia naselennia Ukrainy: mater. nauk.-prakt. konf. [Physical Factors of the Environment and their Influence on the Formation of the Health of the Population of Ukraine: Mater. Scientific and Practical Conf.]. Kyiv; 2020 : 10-12 (in Ukrainian).
10. Chorna V.V. Hihiienichna otsinka umov formuvannia kompiuternoi zalezhnosti u ditei shkilnoho viku, yii diahnostyka ta profilaktyka : avtoref. dys. … kand. med. nauk [Hygienic Assessment of the Conditions for the Formation of Computer Addiction in Schoolchildren, its Diagnosis and Prevention: Abs. Dis. Cand. Med. Sci.]. Kyiv ; 2011 : 21 p. (in Ukrainian).