|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 3 (104) - September, 2022 - Pages: 57-61
Determination of polyphenol compounds in medicinal plants of local habitat and their importance for health
Pylypenko O.O.1, Sukhovirska L.P.1, Operchuk N.I.2
1 Donetsk National Medical University, Kropyvnytskyi
2 1) Donetsk National Medical University, Kropyvnytskyi; 2) State Institution ďKirovohrad Regional Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Kropyvnytsky
”ń : 47.98 : 615.322
Objective: Assess the possibility of using some medicinal plants containing polyphenolic compounds (tannins and gallic acid) in medicine.
Materials and methods: The Folin-Ciocalteu reagent spectrophotometry method is used to determine the amount of polyphenolic compounds. The gallic acid solution was selected as the standard sample. The objects of the study were dry specimens of plants: Oak Bark (quercus cortex), Rhizomes of Bistorta officinalis (bistortae rhizomata), Galls of Oak leaves (gallae turcicae), Rhizomes of Potentilla erecta (tormentillae rhizomata). Experimental samples in the form of aqueous and alcoholic extracts are made from this dry raw material.
Results: Studies have shown that all selected plants have sufficient tannin content to confirm their healing properties. The largest number was found in the galls of oak leaves. Alcohol extracts extracted polyphenolic compounds from plant raw materials better than aqueous ones, but the difference is relatively small. Therefore, aqueous extracts can be used as therapeutic drugs for those who are contraindicated alcohol extracts.
Conclusions: The studied dry specimens of plants (oak bark (quercus cortex), rhizomes of snake mustard (bistortae rhizomata), galls of oak leaves (gallae turcicae), rhizomes of erect cinquefoil (tormentillae rhizomata)) contain polyphenolic compounds (tannin and gallic acid) in sufficient quantities to provide medicinal effect. It has been shown that the extraction of polyphenolic compounds from plant materials using alcohol solutions is more efficient than aqueous extracts. It is recommended to use herbal products with tannins in medicinal practice.
polyphenolic compounds, spectrophotometry, FolinĖCiocalteu method, extraction, tannins
3. Steshenko M., Arsenieva L., Roiko A. and Palamarchuk A. Doslidzhennia fenolnykh spoluk roslynnykh adaptoheniv z metoiu vnesennia do retseptury funktsionalnykh kharchovykh produktiv [Plant Research Phenolic Compounds Adaptogen with a View to the Recipe Functional Food]. Scientific Messenger of LNU of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnologies. Series "Food Technologies". 2015 ; 17 (4) : 130-136 (in Ukrainian).
4. Prior R.L., Wu X. and Schaich K. Standardized Methods for the Determination of Antioxidant Capacity and Phenolics in Foods and Dietary Supplements. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2005 ; 53 : 4290-4302. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0502698
6. Georgť S., Brat P., Alter P. and Amiot M.J. Rapid Determination of Polyphenols and Vitamin C in Plant-Derived Products. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2005 ; 53 : 1370-1373. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1021/jf048396b
7. Escarpa A. and GonzŠlez M.C. Approach to the Content of Total Extractable Phenolic Compounds from Different Food Samples by Comparison of Chromatographic and Spectrophotometric Methods. Anal. Chim. Acta. 2011 ; 427 : 119-127. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(00)01188-0
8. Porgali E. and BŁyŁktuncel E. Determination of Phenolic composition and Antioxidant Capacity of Native Red Wines by High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Spectrophotometric Method. Food Res. Intern. 2012 ; 45 : 145-154. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.10.025
9. Singleton V.L., Orthofer R., Lamuela-Raventos R.M. Analysis of Total Phenols and Other Oxidations Substractes and Antioxidans by Means of Folin-Ciocalteu Reagent. Methods in Enzymology. 1999 ; 29 :152-178. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99017-1
10. Denisenko T.A., Vishnikin A.B. and Tsiganok L.P. Osobennosti vzaimodeistvyia 18-molibdodifosfata u reaktiva Folina- Ciocalteu s fenolnymi soedineniyami [Reaction Features of 18-Molibdodiphosphate and Folin-Ciocalteu Reagent with Phenolic Compounds]. Analitika i kontrol. 2015 ;19 (3) : 242-251 (in Russian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.15826/analitika.2015.19.3.001
11. Ainsworth E.A. and Gillespie K.M. Estimation of Total Phenolic Content and Other Oxidation Substrates in Plant Tissues Using FolinĖCiocalteu Reagent. Nature Protocols. 2007 ; 2 : 875-877. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2007.102
12. Ponomarova L.N., Yaroshchuk R.A., Kovalenko I.N. and Guz O.I. Vyznachennia sumarnoho vmistu fenolnykh spoluk v ekstrakti z lystia Ginkgo Biloba L [Determination of the Total Content of Phenolic Compounds in the Extract of Leaves Ginkgo Biloba L]. Scientific Works. 2018 ; 82. P. 68-73. DOI : https://doi.org/10.15673/swonaft.v82i2.1165