|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (95) - June, 2020 - Pages: 16-23
Contrast sensitivity as a method of early detection of refractive disorders in children of all ages
Kharchenko L.B.1, Plyska O.I.1, Hrusha M.M.2, Kondratok I.S.1, Shkrobanets I.D.3
1 M.P. Drahomanov National Pedagogical University, Kyiv
2 O.O. Bohomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
3 National Academy of Medical Science of Ukraine, Kyiv
Objective: We correlated the state of refractive-accommodation system and indicators of contrast sensitivity in the students of different age groups. To solve this issue, we used the scheme of age-related periodization of a person, taking into account anatomical, physiological and social factors.
Results. In each of the participants, visual acuity was detected with the help of the Golovin-Sivtsev tables, the contrast sensitivity (MS) - with the help of contrasting optotypes. An increase of the incidence of clinically significant cases of myopia with age in both girls and boys was observed in the study. Its detection rate (33.74%; n = 251) in the students, participated in our study, is almost twice as high as the detection rate of hypermetropia (17.20%; n = 128). The general tendencies of the deterioration of contrast sensitivity generally complied with the changes in the condition of the refractory apparatus in the groups of female and male students and were identical. It was revealed that in the group of persons with MS index within the range of 0-2, there were 73.04% of the total number of females and 72.00% of the total number of males with refraction disorders belonging to different age groups.
Conclusions. The similarity of the tendencies in the increase of the frequency of clinically significant cases of contrast sensitivity disorders and refractive-accommodative system suggests that studies with the use of the contrasting optotype table can be used as an early method of preclinical diagnosis of refractive disorders in school-age children.
contrast sensitivity, visual analyzer, myopia, hypermetropia, disorders of refraction, prevention of eyesight disorders in children
1. Rykov S.O. and Savina O. M. Tavricheskiymediko-biologicheskiyvestnik.2015; 15 (4) : 328-331 (in Ukrainian).
3. Bystrova Yu.O., Petrunia A.M., Kovalenko V.Ye. et al. Kompleksnyi suprovid ditei z porushenniamy zoru v umovakh navchalnoho zakladu : navchalno-metod. Posibnyk [Comprehensive Support for Children with Eyesight Impairments at the Educational Institution: Educ. and Method. Manual]. Luhansk ; 2012 : 288 p. (in Ukrainian).
4. Kostetska À.Î. Medyko-orhanizatsiina tekhnolohiia optymizatsii monitorynhu porushen zoru u shkoliariv : avtoref. dys. … kand. med. nauk : sotsialna medytsyna [Medical-Organizational Technology of Optimization of Monitoring of Visual Impairments in Schoolchildren: Author. Diss. … Cand. Medical Sciences : Social Medicine]. Kyiv ; 2014 : 26 p. (in Ukrainian).
5. Petriuk S.Ye. Vplyv patolohichnykh staniv ditei na navchalno-vykhovnyi protses u zahalnoosvitnikh navchalnykh zakladakh [Influence of the Pathological States of the Children on the Training-Educational Process at Secondary Schools]. In : Visnyk Hlukhivskoho natsionalnoho pedahohichnoho universytetu imeni Oleksandra Dovzhenka. Seriia: Pedahohichni nauky [Bulletin of Hlukhiv National Olexander Dovzhenko Pedagogical University. Series: Pedagogical Sciences]. 2015 ; 27 : 207-214 (in Ukrainian).
10. Bates W.H. and Korbett M.D. Uluchsheniye zreniya bez ochkov po metodu Beytsa. Rukovodstvo k bystromu uluchsheniyu zreniya [Improvement of Eyesight without Glasses According to the Bates Method. A Guide to Rapid Eyesight Improvement]. Vilnius : Polina ; 1995 : 272 p. (in Russian).
11. Davydenko E.V. Kak uluchshit zreniye. Netraditsionnye metody lecheniya. Profilaktika i lecheniye narusheniy zreniya po metodu amerikanskogo doktora U.G. Geytsa. Prakticheskiye sovety. Uprazhneniye [How to Improve Eyesight. Alternative Treatment Methods. Prevention and Treatment of Eyesight Impairment According to the Method of the American Doctor U.G. Gates. Practical Advice. Exercise]. Kiev : Orbita ; 1991 ; 79 p. (in Russian).
12. Smereka L.G. Analiz izmeneniy anatomo-opticheskoy struktury miopicheskikh glaz I organizatsiya profilaktiki miopii v shkolakh : avtoref. diss. … kand. med. nauk [Analysis of Changes in Anatomical and Optical Structure of Myopic Eyes and Organization of Myopia Prevention at Schools: Abstract. Diss. Cand. Med. Sciences]. Kharkov ; 1994 : 12 p. (in Russian).
13. Ferfilfain I.L. Blizorukost [Myopia]. Kiev : Kniga plus ; 1987 : 9-17 (in Russian).
14. Moiseienko R.O., Holubchykov M.V., Mykhalchuk V.M., Rykov S.O. et al. Oftalmolohichna dopomoha v Ukraini za 2014-2017 roky : analitychno-statystychnyi dovidnyk [Ophthalmic Care in Ukraine over 2014-2017: Analytical and Statistical Reference Book]. Kropyvnytskyi : POLIUM ; 2018 : 4-5 (in Ukrainian).