|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (84) - 2017 - Pages: 37-39
Evaluation of carcinogenic risk for the population from chlorinated drinking water consumption
Prokopov V.O.1, Lypovetska O.B.1, Kulish T.V.1, Garcavyi S.S.2
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
2 O.O. Bohomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
ÓÄÊ: 614.777:628.168: 546.13
Objective: We assessed a carcinogenic risk to the health of the population from the consumption of drinking water contaminated with volatile organochlorine compounds.
Materials and methods: The study was performed in the city of Kropyvnytskyi where tap drinking water contained volatile organochlorine compounds (OCC). Their content in water was determined by the method of gas chromatography. Determination of the exposure inhalation and dermal doses was carried out by the calculation method. To assess the hazard of the effect of the volatile OCC on the oncological morbidity of the population we applied a methodology for the evaluation of the carcinogenic risks.
Results: Drinking water monitoring showed its contamination with volatile ÎÑÑ (chloroform and bromo-dichloromethane) in the excessive amounts. The total carcinogenic risk of the effects of these substances on the population was estimated as alarming. The peroral and inhalation foreground routes of the ingress of volatile OCC of drinking water into the human organism are the foreground ones.
Conclusions: The detected level of carcinogenic risk for the population of the city of Kropyvnytskyi requires the profound epidemiological studies of oncological morbidity and the development of the preventive measures for the reduction of the OCC level in drinking water.
drinking water, volatile organochlorine compounds, carcinogenic risk
1. Prokopov V.Î. Pytna voda Ukrainy: medyko-ekolohichni ta sanitarno-hihienichni aspekty [Drinking Water of Ukraine: Medico-Ecological and Sanitary-and-Hygienic Aspects]. Êyiv : Ìådytsyna; 2016 : 400 ð. (in Ukrainian).
2. U.S. EPA. Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) on Chloroform. National Center for Environmental Assessment, Office of Research and Development. Washington, 1999. URL : https://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0025.htm
3. Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Hazokhromatohrafichne vyznachennia tryhalohenmetaniv (khloroformu) u vodi : metodychni vkazivky ¹ 005298 [ Gas-Chromatographic Determination of Trihalohenmethane (Chloroform) in Water: Methodical Instructions ¹ 005298]. Êyiv; 1999 : 9 p. (in Ukrainian).
4. Rukovodstvo po otsenke riska dlia zdorovia naseleniia pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagriazniaiushchikh okruzhaiushchuiu sredu : rukovodstvo Ð 188.8.131.520–04 [Manual on Risk Assessment for the Health of the Population under Effect of Chemical Substances Contaminating the Environment: Manual Ð 184.108.40.2060–04]. (in Russian). URL : https://ohranatruda.ru/ot_biblio/normativ/data_normativ/46/46715/index.php.
6. Supplementary Guidance for Conducting Health Risk Assessment of Chemical Mixtures. Washington; 2000 : 194 p.