|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (89) - December, 2018 - Pages: 48-52
Features of carbohydrate metabolism, risk factors, and factual content of carbohydrates in children's food intake residing under unfavourable ecological conditions
Matasar I. T.1, Petryshchenko L.M.1, Lutsenko À.H.1
1 State Institution “National Research Center for Radiation Medicine, National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine”, Kyiv
The role and significance of carbohydrates in human life is shown. Also, the factual content of carbohydrates in food intakes of middle school age children, living under ecologically hazardous conditions, was determined.
Objectives: We estimated, from a hygienic point of view, the levels of consumption of different groups of carbohydrates by middle school age children, residing permanently at the territories of radioecological control and territories not related to them, established a discrepancy with the physiological needs, discussed the negative consequences, and substantiated the ways for the prevention of possible diseases associated with an excessive consumption of simple carbohydrates.
Materials and methods: In the article we presented the findings of the analysis of the actual consumption of carbohydrates by middle school age children, living in the villages of Ivankiv district, Kyiv region, belonging to the territory, suffered from the accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, and Petropavlovsk Borshchahivka village, Kyiv-Sviatoshynnskyi District, Kyiv region as a "clean" territory. We used the questionnaire method with the subsequent study and analysis of the chemical composition of food intakes, determined the values of carbohydrate consumption by the children 10 - 13 years of age. We used "The Norms of Physiological Needs of the Population of Ukraine in the Main Nutrients and Energy" to assess the factual consumption of carbohydrate .
We applied hygienic, analytical, mathematical-and-statistical, program-and-technological methods for research.
Results: Hygienic studies of the state of the factual diet of middle school age children indicate a disorder in the correlation among different types of carbohydrates which may negatively affect the course of metabolism and the formation of premorbid states associated with an excessive consumption of simple carbohydrates. In order to optimize the level of mono- and disaccharides in the food intake, it is necessary to develop and implement into the practice the food sets for the children in educational institutions located in radioactive contaminated areas, suffered from the accident at the Chernobyl NPP, and other areas of radioecological control.
Conclusions. The results of the research showed that the food intakes of the children from the examined places of residence did not comply with the standards of balanced diet on the content of carbohydrates in different seasons.
carbohydrates, mono- and disaccharides, factual nutrition, children of middle school age, Chornobyl NPP, health.
1. Matasar ².T., Horchakova L.A., Petryshchenko L.M. and Matasar V.². Stan faktychnoho kharchuvannia cholov³k³v, yak³ prozhyvaiut na rad³oaktivno zabrudnenykh terytor³iakh [State of Factual Nutrition of the Men, Residing at the Territories Contaminated with Radionuclides]. In : Hihiiena naselenykh mists [Hygiene of Settlements]. Kyiv ; 2007 ; 49 : 313–316 (in Ukrainian).
2. Matasar ².T., Petryshchenko L.M. and Matasar T.V. Kharchuvannia postrazhdalykh kontynhent³v [Nutrition of Suffered Contingents]. In : Medychn³ nasl³dki Chornobylskoi katastrofy : 1986-2011 : monohraf³ia [Medical Consequences of Chornobyl Catastrophe : 1986-2011 : Monographia]. Ternopil : Ukrmedknyha ; 2011 : 716–725 (in Ukrainian).
3. Lutsenko O. G., Matasar ². T., Danyliuk S. V., Petryshchenko L. M. and Matasar V. ². V³snyk problem b³oloh³i ³ medytsyny. 2013 ; 3 (1) : 111–115 (in Ukrainian).
4. Matasar I. T., Petryshchenko L. M., Matasar V. I. and Lutsenko O. G. The Hygienic Estimation of Actual Nutrition of Middle School Aged Children, who Live in Different Ecological Conditions. In : Health Effects of the Chornobyl Accident – 30 Years Aftermath” : International Conference. Kyiv ; 2016 : 104.
5. Fedorenko V.²., K³tsula L.M. and Skaletska N.M. Vplyv navkolishnoho seredovyshcha ³ kharchuvannia na zdorovia d³tei [Impact of Environment and Nutrition on Children’s Health]. In : Aktualn³ pytannia h³h³eny ta ekoloh³chnoi bezpeky Ukrainy: tezy dop. nauk.-prakt. konf. [Actual Issues of Nutrition and Ecological Safety of Ukraine: Rep.Abst.Sci.-Pract.Conf.]. Kyiv; 2006 ; 6 : 153-155 (in Ukrainian).
6. Karachov ². ²., Hronska L. S. and Datsenko V. ². Problemy kharchuvannia. 2004 ; 1 (2) : 22-28 (in Ukrainian).
7. Korzun V. N. Mezhdunarodnyi zhurnal radiatsionnoy meditsiny. 1999 ; 2 : 75-91 (in Russian).