|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 3 (100) - September, 2021 - Pages: 22-29
Non-neoplastic morbidity, disability, mortality in adult population at radioactively contaminated territories of Ukraine. Epidemiological research 1988-2016
Prykashchykova K.Ye.1, Yaroshenko Zh.S.1, Kostiuk G.V.1, Syrovenko V.I.1, Olepir O.V.1, Lukianiuk V.O.1, Lytvyniuk I.V.1, Polianska V.M.1, Movchun T.I.1
1 SI “National Research Centre for Radiation Medicine of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine”, Kyiv,
ÓÄÊ: 616-008.3/.5 -036.86/.88-053.8-036.22:616-001.28(477)
Objective: We presented a comprehensive description of the changes in the health status of the adult population of radioactively contaminated territories of Ukraine depending on gender and age at the date of the Chornobyl accident on the basis of cohort epidemiological studies after accident.
Materials and methods: The epidemiological analysis of non-neoplastic morbidity, disability, mortality in the residents of radioactively contaminated territories (RCT) aged 18-60 years old at the date of the Chornobyl accident (65,189 people) was conducting during 1988-2016 for five-year observation periods and by eight classes of ICD-10. We applied the methods of mathematical and statistical analysis.
Results: During 1988-2016, 90590 (100%) cases of non-neoplastic morbidity (34.94% in men and 65.06% in women), 11153 (100%) cases of disability (38.22% and61.78%, respectively), and 11586 (100%) cases of mortality(50,42% and 49,58%, respectively)were detected in the residents of the RCT for the first time as a result of epidemiological study. Most of the victims suffered from the nosological forms of the nosological forms of respiratory, circulatory and digestive systems, which made up 67.43% in the structure of non-neoplastic morbidity. Diseases of circulatory, endocrine and nervous systems (87.92%) were the main factors of disability and diseases of circulatory system (89.49%) - of mortality. The gender dependence of the development of the incidence of non-neoplastic diseases, disability and mortality due to them were established. The indices of mortality (116.08, ID/103 man-years of observation) and disability (13.57)in females significantly exceeded the males’ ones (86.57 and 11.65, respectively). But males had a higher mortality rate (16.01 vs. - 11.32). Changes in the incidence rates of non-neoplastic diseases, disability and mortality due to them throughout the observation period were characterized by a divergence of vectors: morbidity decreased, and disability and mortality increased simultaneously. The intersection of the dynamics of the mortality of non-neoplastic diseases with disability and mortality through those diseases was identified in 2008-2012.
1. During epidemiological surveillance in 1988-2016, in the residents of RCT aged 18-60 years old on the date of the Chornobyl accident epidemiological surveillance, the non-neoplastic morbidity was formed mainly due to the significant development of diseases of the respiratory, circulatory and digestive systems, which together made up 67.43%. Non-neoplastic diseases of the circulatory, endocrine and nervous systems (87.92) were the main causes of disability, diseases of circulatory system (89.49%) - of mortality.
2. The gender dependence of the development of the morbidity of non-neoplastic diseases, disability and mortality in the residents of RCT over the thirty-year observation period was established. Diseases of the circulatory system were the main causes of disability and mortality. In males, disability and mortality were caused by the mental and behavioral disorders, diseases of respiratory and digestive systems, in females - by the diseases of nervous and urogenital systems.
3. In the residents of RCT, regardless of gender, over the years of observation, a feature of the development of morbidity, disability and mortality due to them was established, it was in the significant reduction of the incidence of diseases in 2008-2016, due to the increase of disability and mortality of the suffered, especially in 2008-2016, in comparison with the previous years, i.e. in 22-30 years after the Chornobyl accident.
4. Summarizing the obtained data, it is important to continue the epidemiological studies of the health status of the residents of RCT (non-neoplastic morbidity, disability, mortality) for the determination of the impact of radiation on the development of the main forms of non-neoplastic diseases.
radiation, adult population, non-neoplastic morbidity, disability, mortality
1. Buzunov V.O. Aktualnyye problemy epidemiologii meditsinskikh posledstviy v otdalennom periode avarii na ChAES [Urgent Problems of the Epidemiology of Medical Consequences in the Remote Period of the Chernobyl Accident]. In : Epidemiologiya meditsinskikh posledstviy avarii na Chernobylskoy AES. 20 let spustya : tez. doklad. nauch. konf. [Epidemiology of Medical Consequences of the Chernobyl Accident. 20 Years Later: Thesis of the Rep. Sci. Conf.] (Kyiv, October 9-10, 2007) Donetsk : Veber ; 2007 : 35 p. (in Russian).
2. Bazyka D.A., Tronko M.D., Antypkin Yu.H., SerdiukA.M. and Sushko V.O. (eds.). Trydtsiat rokiv Chornobylskoi katastrofy: radiolohichni ta medychni naslidky : Natsionalna dopovid Ukrainy [Thirty Years of the Chornobyl Catastrophe: Radiological and Medical Consequences : National Report of Ukraine]. Kyiv ; 2016 : 177 p. (in Ukrainian).
3. Pyrohova O.Ya., Buzunov V.O., Prykashchykova K.Ye., Tereshchenko V.M. and Domashevska T.Ye. Osoblyvosti formuvannia nepukhlynnoi zakhvoriuvanosti dorosloho naselennia, shcho meshkaie na radioaktyvno zabrudnenykh terytoriiakh Zhytomyrskoi oblasti [Features of the Formation of Non-Neoplastic Morbidity of the Adult Population Living at Radioactively Contaminated Territories of the Zhytomyr Oblast]. In : Medyko-biolohichni naslidky Chornobylskoi katastrofy cherez 15 rokiv: mater. konf. [Medico-Ecological Consequences of the Chornobyl Catastrophe in 15 Years: Mater. Conf.]. Zhytomyr ; 2001 : 50-53 (in Ukrainian).
4. Buzunov V.O., Prykashchykova K. Ye., Kostiuk H.V., Martseniuk O.D. and Hubina I.H. Nepukhlynna zakhvoriuvanist meshkantsiv radioaktyvno zabrudnenykh terytorii Ukrainy [Non-Neoplastic Morbidity of the Residents of Radioactively Contaminated Territories of Ukraine ]. In : Trydtsiat rokiv Chornobylskoi katastrofy : radiolohichni ta medychni naslidky: Natsionalna dopovid Ukrainy [Thirty Years of the Chornobyl Catastrophe : Radiological and Medical Consequences : National Report of Ukraine]. Bazyka D.A. et al. (eds.). Kyiv ; 2016 : 51-62. URL: national_dopovid_2016_new.pdf (in Ukrainian).
5. Prisyazhniuk A.E., GrishchenkoV.G., Zakordonets V.A., Fuzik N.N., Slipeniuk E.M. and Fedorenko Z.P. Itogi 15-letnego epidemiologicheskogo nablyudeniya nad vyborkoy populyatsii Ukrainy, podvergsheysya dlitelnomu vozdeystviyu malykh doz radiatsii vsledstviye avarii na Chernobylskoy AES [Results of 15-Year Epidemiological Observation of a Sample of the Ukrainian Population Exposed to Long-Term Exposure to Low Doses of Radiation as a Result of the Chernobyl Accident]. In : Ekologiya cheloveka v postchernobylskiy period : Mater. nauch.-prakt. konf. [Human Ecology in the Post-Chernobyl Period: Mater. Sci.-Prac.Conf.] (Minsk, November, 2003). Minsk ; 2004 : 132-134(in Russian).
6. McGale P. and Darby S.C. Low Doses of Ionizing Radiation and Circulatory Diseases: a Systematic Review of the Published Epidemiological Evidence. Radiat Res. 2005 ; 57 : 163-247. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1667/RR3314
7. Little M.P., Tawn E.J., Tzoulaki I., Wakeford R., Hildebrandt G. et al. A Systematic Review of Epidemiological Associations between Low and Moderate Doses of Ionizing Radiation and Late Cardiovascular Effects, and their Possible Mechanisms. Radiat. Res. 2008 ; 169 : 99-109. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1667/RR1070.1
8. Piven N.V., Hunko N.V. and Korotkova N.V. Zakhvoriuvanist dytiachoho naselennia naibilsh radioaktyvno zabrudnenykh terytorii Ukrainy khvorobamy orhaniv travlennia [Morbidity by the Diseases of Digestive Systemin the Children’s Population at the Most Radioactively Contaminated Territories of Ukraine]. Dovkillia ta zdorovia (Environment&Health). 2014 ; 4 (71) : 55-60 (in Ukrainian).
9. Stepanova Ye.I., Kolpakov I.Ye., Vdovenko V.Yu., Kondrashova V.H. and Zyhalo V.N. Deiaki mekhanizmy rozvytku nespryiatlyvykh naslidkiv Chornobylskoi katastrofy u ditei - meshkantsiv radioaktyvno zabrudnenykh terytorii [Some Mechanisms of the Development of Adverse Consequences of the Chornobyl Catastrophe in the Children - Residents of Radioactively Contaminated Territories]. In : Radioekolohiia-2017: mater. konf. [Radioecology-2017: Mater. Conf. (Kyiv, 24-26 April, 2017)]. Zhytomyr : Ukrekobiokon ; 2017 : 231-234 (in Ukrainian).
10. Shestopalov V.M., Naboka M.V., Likhosherstov A.A. and Chaban E.P. Analiz dozozavisimykh effektov pri khronicheskom vnutrennem obluchenii na primere zabolevayemosti boleznyami zheludochno-kishechnogo trakta u detskogo naseleniya Zhitomirskoy oblasti na radioaktivno zagryaznennykh territoriyakh [Analysis of Dose-Dependent Effects in Chronic Internal Irradiation on the Example of the Incidence of Diseases of the Gastrointestinal Tract in the Child Population of the Zhytomyr Region at Radioactively Contaminated Territories]. In : Radiobilohichni ta radioekolohichni aspekty Chornobylskoi katastrofy : mater. dop. konf. [Radiobiological and Radiecological Aspects of the Chornobyl Catastrophe: Mater. Conf. Rep.].(Slavutych, 11-15 April 2011). Slavutych, Ukraine ; 2011 : 57 p. (in Russian).
11. Buzunov V.O., Pyrohova O.Ya., Krasnikova L.I., Tsuprykov V.A., Voichulene Yu.S. and Domashevska T.Ye. Pokaznyky ta metody yikh rozrakhunku v epidemiolohii neinfektsiinykh zakhvoriuvan: navchalno-metodychnyi posibnyk [Indicators and Methods of their Calculation in the Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Diseases: Textbook]. Kyiv : Avitsenna ; 2013 :120 p. (in Ukrainian).