|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 3 (100) - September, 2021 - Pages: 56-63
On the issue of ensuring the safety of the hospital environment
Yavorovskyi Î.P.1, Skaletskyi Yu.M.2, Brukhno R.P.1, Rygan M.M.3, Zinchenko T.Î.1, Taran N.V.1
1 O.O. Bohomolets National Medical University
2 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
3 National University of Ukraine on Physical Education and Sport
Objective: We identified the main occupational hazards in the hospital environment and determined their role in the formation of the safety of medical personnel at healthcare institutions.
Materials and methods: We applied the bibliosemantic, questionnaire, hygienic and statistical research methods.
Results: In the course of the labour activity at the health care institutions (HCI), the medical workers are exposed to the risk of negative effects of biological, psychophysiological, chemical, physical and social harmful and dangerous factors. The biological and psychophysiological factors are the most harmful factors.
The adverse occupational factors of the hospital environment do not have an isolated effect, but have a complex, combined and joint effect, and their priority varies depending on the specificity of medical speciality.
Under conditions of COVID-19 pandemic, the risk of the negative impact of production environment factors on the medical personnel at the HCI has been increased. In particular, the risk of infection with pathogens of infectious diseases increases, the work load, psycho-emotional tension, the duration of the use of personal protective equipment and the frequency of contact with the disinfectant solutions increase, the probability of violence, harassment, stigmatization, and discrimination related to the professional affiliation of health care personnel increases.
The lack of a safety culture is one of the most important mechanisms for launching and realizing the dangers of a hospital environment, and just a creation of positive practice of a safety culture at work can significantly reduce the risks of realizing potential hazards that exist at health care institutions.
Conclusion: The identification of the dangers of the hospital environment with the formation of a comprehensive understanding of their importance for the ensurance of the safety for medical personnel is an urgent task for modern medical science and will make it possible to develop reasonably the measures aimed at the ensurance of the safety of the hospital environment in terms of the safety of medical personnel.
safe hospital environment, safety of medical personnel, hazardous and harmful occupational factors
1. Patient Safety. Making Health Care Safer. Geneva : WHO; 2017: 20 ð. URL: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/ 10665/255507/WHO-HIS-SDS-2017.11-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y (last accessed 19.07.2020)
2. Patient Safety Fact File. Geneva : WHO, 2019. 13 p. URL: https://www.who.int/features/factfiles/patient_safety/patient-safety-fact-file.pdf?ua=1 (last accessed 19.07.2020)
3. Patient Safety. Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Health Care Facilities. Report by the Director-General. Seventy-Second World Health Assembly, 25 March 2019. A72/27. Provisional agenda item 12.5. URL: https://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA72/A72_27-en.pdf (last accessed 19.07.2020)
4. Patient Safety. Global Action on Patient Safety. Report by the Director-General. Seventy-Second World Health Assembly, 25 March 2019. A72/26. Provisional agenda item 12.5. URL: https://apps.who.int/ gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA72/A72_26-en.pdf (last accessed 19.07.2020)
5. Yavorovskyi O.P., Zenkina V.I. and Paustovskyi Yu.O. Hihiienichni osoblyvosti umov pratsi likariv-khirurhiv bahatoprofilnoi klinichnoi likarni [Hygienic Features of Labour Conditions of Surgeons of a Multidisciplinary Clinical Hospital]. Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Medicine. 2009 ; 4 (20) : 16-22 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.33573/ujoh2009.04.016
6. Employer-Reported Workplace Injuries and Illnesses – 2018. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Survey of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses. 2019. URL: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/osh.pdf (last accessed 19.07.2020)
7. Yavorovskyi O.P., Brukhno R.P. and Brukhno O.M. Zbudnyky infektsiinykh zakhvoriuvan yak shkidlyvi ta nebezpechni faktory umov pratsi medychnykh pratsivnykiv [Pathogens of Infectious Diseases as Harmful and Dangerous Factors of Labour Conditions of Medical Personnel]. In : Aktualni problemy profilaktychnoi medytsyny : zb. nauk. prats [Actual Problems of Preventive Medicine: Coll. Sci. Works]. Lviv ; 2020 ; 20 : 3-15. UR : http://ir.librarynmu.com/handle/123456789/2046 (in Ukrainian).
8. Antomonov M.Yu. Matematicheskaya obrabotka i analiz mediko-biologicheskikh dannykh [Mathematical Processing and Analysis of Medico-Biological Data]. 2-nd ed. Kiev : Medinform ; 2018: 579 p. (in Russian).
9. Moskalenko V.F. Biostatystyk [Biostatistic]. Kyiv : Knyha-plius ; 2009 : 184 p. (in Ukrainian).
10. Yavorovskyi O.P., Skaletskyi Yu.M. and Brukhno R.P. Metod anketuvannia yak instrument otsinky umov pratsi medychnoho personalu ta upravlinnia ryzykamy v nadzvychainykh sytuatsiiakh medyko-biolohichnoho kharakteru (na prykladi podolannia pandemii COVID-19) [Questionnaire Method as a Tool for the Assessment of the Labour Conditions of Medical Personnel and Risk Management in Emergencies of Medical and Biological Nature (On the Example of Overcoming COVID-19 Pandemic)]. Kyiv ; 2 (Newsletter ¹ 145-2020). URL: http://ir.librarynmu.com/handle/123456789/2118 (in Ukrainian).
11. Serdiuk A.M., Yavorovskyi O.P., Skaletskyi Yu.M. et al. Vyrobnychyi travmatyzm v medychnii haluzi: stan i tendentsii [Occupational Traumatism in Medical Field: State and Tendencies]. Zhurnal Natsionalnoi akademii medychnykh nauk Ukrainy. 2017 ; 3-4 : 47-54 (in Ukrainian).
12. Yavorovskyi O.P., Skaletskyi Yu.M., Ryhan M. M. et al. Analiz prychyn vyrobnychoho travmatyzmu u medychnii sferi yak pidgruntia dlia yoho poperedzhennia [Analysis of the Causes of the Occupational Traumatism in the Medical Field as a Basis for its Prevention]. Ukrainskyi zhurnal viiskovoi medytsyny. 2020 ; 1 (2) : 24-34. (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.46847/ujmm.2020.2(1)-024
13. Hihiienichna klasyfikatsiia pratsi za pokaznykamy shkidlyvosti ta nebezpechnosti faktoriv vyrobnychoho seredovyshcha, vazhkosti ta napruzhenosti trudovoho protsesu. Zatverdzhena nakazom MOZ Ukrainy vid 07.04.2014 ¹ 248 [The Hygienic Classification of the Labour According to the Indicators of Harmfulness and Danger of the Factors of the Production Environment, the Severity and Intensity of the Labour Process. Approved by the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, 07.04.2014 ¹ 248]. (in Ukrainian). URL: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0472-14
14. Gatiyatullina L.L. Sostoyaniye zdorovia meditsinskikh rabotnikov [Health State of Medical Personnel]. Vestnik sovremennoy klinicheskoy meditsiny. 2016 ; 9 (3) : 69-75 (in Russian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.20969/VSKM.2016.9(3).69-75
15. Danilova E.S. Vnutribolnichnyye infektsii meditsinskikh rabotnikov lechebno-profilakticheskikh organizatsiy [Nosocomial Infections of Medical Personnel of Medico-Preventive Organizations]. Rossiyskiy mediko-biologicheskiy vestnik imeni akademika I.P. Pavlova. 2013 ; 1 : 137-144 (in Russian).
16. COVID-19: Occupational Health and Safety for Health Workers. Interim Guidance. 2 February 2021. ILO and WHO. URL: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/339151/WHO-2019-nCoV-HCW_advice-2021.1-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y.
17. Kundiiev Yu.I., Varyvonchyk D.V., Kopach K.D. et al. Umovy pratsi pratsivnykiv stomatolohichnoi sluzhby pry zastosuvanni suchasnykh medychnykh tekhnolohii [Labour Conditions of the Workers of Stomatologic Service at the Use of Modern Medical Technologies]. Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health. 2017 ; 4 : 3-11(in Ukrainian).
18. Varyvonchyk D.V. and Kopach K.D. Stan somatychnoho ta psykhichnoho zdorovia pratsivnykiv stomatolohichnoi sluzhby, v umovakh zastosuvannia suchasnykh tekhnolohii [State of Somatic and Psychic Health of the Personnel of Stomatologic Service under Conditions of the Use of Modern Technologies]. Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health. 2018 ; 2 : 40-46 (in Ukrainian). DOI : https://doi.org/10.33573/ujoh2018.02.040
20. Buhaichuk O.P. and Ivanchenko O.V. «Neadekvatnist» patsiienta i samooborona medychnoho pratsivnyka: kryminalno-pravova otsinka [«Inadequacy» of the Patient and Self-Defence of the Medical Personnel: Criminal-and-Legal Assessment]. Zhinochyi likar. 2019 ; 1(81) : 52-53. (in Ukrainian). URL: https://z-l.com.ua/ua/zl81/