|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (101) - December, 2021 - Pages: 68-76
Assessment of peroral intake of nitrates with drinking water for different sections of the population of Zhytomyr region
Valerko R.A.1, Herasymchuk L.O.1
1 Polissia National University, Zhytomyr
Objective: We assessed the degree of risk to the health of the rural population of different ages with constant peroral intake of nitrates with drinking water.
Materials and methods: The study was conducted within the rural residential areas of Zhytomyr region and it is a part of the research "Ecological and social assessment of the state of rural residential areas in the context of sustainable development." Drinking water samples were taken from public and private sources of decentralized water supply: wells, bore-wells and natural sources. A total 549 water samples were taken. In the study, we used general scientific methods: analytical, field, laboratory and statistical ones.
Results: Among the studied areas, the largest excess of the average content of nitrates was recorded in drinking water of rural settlements of Berdychiv district. The risk assessment showed that the children aged 0-10 years were the most sensitive population to nitrates, and the women were more vulnerable to nitrates than the men among the adult population. The significant correlations between an excess of nitrate content in drinking water and cancer among adults and children in Berdychiv district have been proven.
Conclusions: It has been proven that with a constant oral intake of nitrates with drinking water, harmful effects on the health of the rural population are observed, which, according to their sensitivity to their action, were distributed as follows: children 0-10 years old> adult women> adult men> adolescents.Taking into account the results obtained, it is necessary to monitor constantly the quality of drinking water sources of decentralized water supply in rural areas and to inform the rural population about water quality and the impact of its impurities on human health.
drinking water, sources of decentralized water supply, rural settlements, nitrates, risk, health of the population
1. Ward M.H., Jones R.R., Brender J.D., de Kok T.M., Weyer P.J., Nolan B.T., Villanueva C.M. and van Breda S.G. Drinking Water Nitrate and Human Health: An Updated Review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018 ; 15(7) : 1557. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15071557
2. Valerko R.A., Herasymchuk L.O., Martenyuk G.M. and Kravchuk M.M. Ecological Assessment of Vegetable Products Grown in the City of Zhytomyr and its Residential Suburb. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology. 2018 ; 8 (1) : 927-938. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15421/2018_295
3. Mirvish S.S. Role of N-Nitroso Compounds (NOC) and N-Nitrosation in Etiology of Gastric, Esophageal, Nasopharyngeal and Bladder Cancer and Contribution to Cancer of Known Exposures to NOC. Cancer Lett. 1995 ; 93 : 17–48. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(95)03786-V
4. Romanchuk L.D., Valerko R.A, Herasymchuk L.O. and Kravchuk M.M. Assessment of the Impact of Organic Agriculture on Nitrate Content in Drinking Water in Rural Settlements of Ukraine. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology. 2021 ; 11(2) : 17-26. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15421/2021_71
5. Palapa N.V. Otsinka silskykh selitebnykh terytorii za yakistiu pytnoi vody [Estimation of Rural Residential Areas by Drinking Water Quality]. Ahroekolohichnyi zhurnal. 2015; 4: 41-47 (in Ukrainian).
7. Stayner L.T., Almberg K., Jones R., Graber J., Pedersen M. and Turyk M. Atrazine and Nitrate in Water and the Risk of Preterm Delivery and Low Birth Weight in Four Midwestern States. Environ. Res. 2017; 152 : 294–303. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2016.10.022
8. Schullehner J., Hansen B., Thygesen M., Pedersen C.B. and Sigsgaard T. Nitrate in Drinking Water and Colorectal Cancer Risk: A Nationwide Population-Based Cohort Study: Nitrate in Drinking Water and CRC. International Journal of Cancer. 2018 ; 143 (1) : 73-79. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31306
9. Parvizishad M., Dalvand A., Mahvi A. H. and Goodarzi F. A Review of Adverse Effects and Benefits of Nitrate and Nitrite in Drinking Water and Food on Human Health. Health Scope. 2017 ; 6(3) :14164. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5812/jhealthscope.14164
10. Rukovodstvo po otsenke riska dlya zdorovia naseleniya pri vozdeystvii khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagryaznyayushchikh okruzhayushchuyu sredu. Rukovodstvo R 184.108.40.2060-04 [Manual on Risk Assessment for the Health of the Population under Effect of Chemical Substances Contaminating the Environment: Manual Ð 220.127.116.110-04]. Moscow : Federalnyy tsentr Gossanepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii. (in Russian). URL : https://ohranatruda.ru/ot_biblio/n ormativ/data_normativ/46/46715/index.php
12. Lototska O.V., Prokopov V.O. Otsinka ryzyku spozhyvannia pytnoi vody z pidvyshchenym vmistom nitrativ na zdorovia naselennia Ternopilskoi oblasti [Risk Assessment of the Consumption of Drinking Water with High Nitrate Content for the Health of the Population of Ternopil Region]. Dovkillia ta zdorovia (Environment&Health). 2018; 4 : 20-24 (in Ukrainian). DOI: https://doi.org/10.32402/dovkil2018.04.020
13. Yu G., Wang J., Liu L., Zhang Y. and Wang S. The Analysis of Groundwater Nitrate Pollution and Health Risk Assessment in Rural Areas of Yantai, China. BMC Public Health. 2020 ; 20 : 437. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-08583-y
14. Lototska-Dudyk U.B., Lototska L.B. and Stanko O.M. Medychno-hihiienichna otsinka vplyvu nitrativ dzherel detsentralizovanoho vodopostachannia na zakhvoriuvanist system sertsevo-sudynnoi ta krovoobihu [Medico-Hygienic Assessment of the Impact of Nitrates from the Sources of Decentralized Water Supply on the Incidence of Cardiovascular and Circulatory Systems]. Acta Medica Leopoliensia. 2020 ; 2-3 : 61-67 (in Ukrainian). DOI: https://doi.org/10.25040/aml2020.02-03
15. Abdurakhmanov G.M., Gasangadzhiyeva A.G., Daudova M.G. and Gadzhiyev A.A. Ekologo-geograficheskaya otsenka zabolevayemosti zlokachestvennymi novoobrazovaniyami detskogo naseleniya respubliki Dagestan [Ecogeographical Assessment of the Incidence of Malignant Neoplasms in the Children’s Population of the Republic of Daghestan]. Ekologiya cheloveka. 2015; 08: 16-25 (in Russian).
16. Likho O.A., Hakalo O.I. Osoblyvosti vodozabezpechennia naselennia Poliskykh raioniv Rivnenskoi oblasti [Peculiarities of Water Supply of the Population of Polissia Districts of Rivne Region]. Visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu vodnoho hospodarstva ta pryrodokorystuvannia. 2015; 1(69): 122-132 (in Ukrainian).