|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (89) - December, 2018 - Pages: 20-24
Àssessment of the risk of the consumption of drinking water with the increased content of nitrates for the health of the people of the Ternopil oblast
Lototska Î.V.1, Prokopov V.Î.2
1 Ternopil State I. Horbachevsky Medical University
2 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
ÓÄÊ: 614.777 : 504.064:628(477.46)
Objectives: We calculated the risk ratio and assessed the risk of impact of drinking water with an increased content of nitrates on the health of the population in various regions of the Ternopil oblast.
Materials and methods: We used the results of the monitoring of the compliance with the standards of drinking water quality indicators from decentralized sources by sanitary and chemical indicators in the Ternopil oblast obtained at the State Institution "Ternopil Regional Laboratory Center of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine". We used the data from the Information and Analytical Center for Medical Statistics in the Ternopil Oblast for 2010 and 2016 years. To achieve this goal, we applied hygienic, analytical, and statistical research methods.
Results: There is a clear tendency to a significant number of deviations by sanitary and chemical indicators of water quality in nitrate content in the south and south-eastern parts of the Ternopil oblast.
The assessment of the risk factor of the consumption of drinking water, contaminated with nitrates, in the Borshchevskyi, Zalishchytskyi and Chortkivskyi regions indicates a risk of the increase of non-infectious morbidity, especially for sensitive groups of the population. The results of the calculation of non-carcinogenic risk at the intake of nitrates with drinking water up to 2 MPCs showed that the quantity of the risk in all regions complied with the average risk and grew with an increase of their concentration in water. The probability of the development of the hazardous effects for the children is higher in all regions where consuming water has the same content of nitrates, the higher HQ indices indicate it. The high risk of the adverse effects in the most children is possible at the content of nitrates of 3-7 and more MACs in two regions of the Ternopil oblast – the Borshchevskyi and Zalishchytskyi ones.
Estimation of the population health of the population in these regions with the help of demographic indicators showed that recent years mortality exceeds the birth rate.
Conclusions. Thus, negative tendencies are noted in the health status of the population of the Ternopil region. In connection with this, it is necessary to develop and carry out urgent measures to prevent further contamination of underground sources of drinking water with nitrates and to prevent its negative impact on the health of the population.
drinking water, nitrates, risk ratio, non-carcinogenic risk
1. Prokopov V.O. Hihiienichni problemy vodopostachannia v Ukraini [Hygienic Problems of Water Supply in Ukraine]. In : Dosvid ta perspectyvy naukovoho suprovodu problem hihiienichnoi nauky ta praktyky [Experience and Prospects of Scientific Support of the Hygienic Science and Practice Problems]. Êyiv ; 2011 : 106-132 (in Ukrainian).
2. Klymenko M.O. and Zaleskyi I. I. Zbalansovane vykorystannia vodnykh resursiv Balanced Use of Water Resources : Tutorial]. Rivne : NUVHP; 2016. 337 p. (in Ukrainian).
3. Nitrate and Nitrite in Drinking-water: Background Document for Development of WHO Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality. Geneva : WHO; 2016. URL : http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/nitratenitrite2ndadd.pdf
4. Trakhtenberg I.M. and Babienko V.V. Intehratyvna antropolohiia. 2013 ; 1 (21) : 37-39 (in Ukrainian).
5. Dementiev Yu.H., Blazhkevych L.I., Bezruka L.A. et al. Monitorynhovi doslidzhennia yakosti pytnoi vody iz dzherel vodopostachannia z vysokym vmistom nitrativ Monitoring Researches of Quality of Drinking Water from Sources of Water Supply with High Nitrate Content. Dovkillia i zdorovia : materialy konferentsii [Environment and Health : Materials of the Conference]. Ternopil : Ukrmedknyha; 2017 : 81-82 (in Ukrainian).
6. Herasymchuk L. O. Rol nitratnoho zabrudnennia ovochevoi produktsii ta pytnoi vody u formuvanni nekantserohennoho ryzyku dlia naselennia s. Luka Zhytomyrskoho raionu The Role of Nitrate Contamination of Vegetable and Potable Water in the Formation of Non-carcinogenic Risk for the Population of Luka village of Zhytomyr region . Visnyk Zhytomyrskoho ahroekolohichnoho universytetu. 2015; 2 (50); 1 : 55–63 (in Ukrainian).
7. Rukovodstvo po otsenke riska dlia zdorovia naseleniia pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagriazniaiushchikh okruzhaiushchuiu sredu : rukovodstvo Ð 220.127.116.110–04 [Manual on Risk Assessment for the Health of the Population under Effect of Chemical Substances Contaminating the Environment: Manual Ð 18.104.22.1680-04]. URL : https://ohranatruda.ru/ot_biblio/normativ/data_normativ/46/46715/index.php (in Russian).
8. Mokiienko A.V., Kovalchuk L.I. and Krisilov A.D. Visnyk Natsionalnoi Akademii Nauk Ukrainy. 2017; 10 : 42-52 (in Ukrainian).
9. Rybalova O.V. and Bielan S.V. Novyi pidkhid do kompleksnoi otsinky ryzyku dlia zdorovia naselennia pry zabrudnenni navkolyshnoho pryrodnoho seredovyshcha A New Approach to Comprehensive Risk Assessment for Public Health when Contaminating the Natural Environment. In : Aktualnye dostizheniya evropeiskoy nauki : tezisy konf. [Actual Achievements of European Science : Conf. Abstracts]. Bulgaria ; 2014 : 76–82 (in Ukrainian).
10. Tunakova Yu.A., Stepanova N.V., Fajzullin R.I., Valiev V.S. and Galimova A.R. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya. 2015 ; 6. URL: http://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=23767 (in Russian).