|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (78) - 2016 - Pages: 47-50
Use risk assessment to air quality management and preservation of public health
1 STATE INSTITUTION “O.M. MARZIEIEV INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC HEALTH” NAMSU
The aim of this study is to develop a tools of harmonization of Ukrainian legislation in the field of air protection, according to the European requirements.
Materials and methods. In the research we have been used bibliosemantic, analytical, mathematical and cartographic research methods. Risk criteria assessment was completed according to approved U.S. EPA and WHO procedure of risk assessment. Program complex ISC-AERMOD was implied in average 1-, 24-hour, month and annual pollutant concentrations calculations. Application of this modeling algorithm allowed counting in terrain, land-use peculiarities, annual meteorological observations, source parameters and emission characteristics in calculation procedure. Demographic data (for adult and child population) was processed by ArcGIS tools and decoded according to the places of residence. Zones of the highest density of exposed population were identified.
Results. It is shown that the air monitoring studies, which are conducted in Ukraine, does not allow to assess the extent of industrial pollution and toxicity of emissions. Raises a need to find the estimated air pollution assessment programs, as the in acute and chronic inhalation exposure to human health. It is established that the risk levels from stationary sources of emissions of different types of industrial enterprises, are within 10-3 ÷ 10-5, which proves the need for additional administrative activities. It allowed to define local priorities, to assess medical-and-ecological situation in the cities, to work out a rational, scientifically substantiated approach to the priority of the fulfillment of prophylactic and nature preserving measures at the stage of risk management.
Ñonclusion. Recent studies prove the need for ideological and methodological reorganization of the existent national air quality system through harmonization with international legislation and implementation of the risk assessment methodology. This will not only provide the grounds for cooperation and coordination of the activities of the sanitary and epidemiological bodies with ecological agencies, but also will help to join the cross-sectoral efforts in addressing health and environmental issues of residential areas in terms of the air quality management system and preservation of public health.
risk assessment, public health, air quality, pollutants, risk management.
1. Environment and Human Health : Joint EEA-JRS report / European Environment Agency. – Copenhagen, 2013. – 112 p.
2. Report on the European Environment and Health Process (2010 - 2013) / 3.
3. Air quality guidelines — global update 2005 / WHO Regional Office for Europe. – Copenhagen, 2006. – 484 p.
4. Risk Assessment Capacity Building Program in Zaporizhzhia Ukraine: Emissions Inventory Construction, Ambient Modeling, and Hazard Results [Electronic resource] / J.C. Caldwell, A. Serdyuk, O. Turos, A. Petrosian et al. // Journal of Environmental Protection. – 2013. - ¹4. – P. 1476-1487. – Mode of access : https://doi.org/10.4236/jep.2013.412169
5. Turos O.I. Rozrobka naukovykh pidkhodiv do hihiienichnoi otsinky nebezpeky vid dzherel zabrudnennia atmosfernoho povitria na osnovi pokaznykiv ryzyku: avtoref. dys.: spets. „14.02.01 (Hihiiena ta profesiina patolohiia)”. K., 2008. – 42 s.
6. Otsinka toksychnosti vykydiv statsionarnykh dzherel zabrudnennia atmosfernoho povitria v konteksti analizu ryzyku dlia zdorovia naselennia / O.I. Turos, A.A. Petrosian, O.M. Kartavtsev, H.M. Davydenko, I.V. Kobzarenko // Hihiiena naselenykh mists. – Vyp. 55. – K., 2010. – S. 35-42.
7. Turos O.I. Hygiena povitria / O.I. Turos, A.A. Petrosian, L.I. Mykhina // Dosvid ta perspektyvy naukovoho suprovodu problem hihiienichnoi nauky ta praktyky. – K., 2011. – S. 133-149.
8. Rekomendatsii po kachestvu vozdukha v Yevrope / VOZ. - [2-e izd.]. - M. : Ves mir, 2004. - S. 5-89.
9. Turos O.I., Davydenko H.M., Petrosian A.A. ta spivavt. [Sotsialni vtraty zdorovia naselennia, obumovleni promyslovym zabrudnenniam atmosfernoho povitria]. Aktualni pytannia zakhystu dovkillia ta zdorovia naselennia Ukrainy: rezultaty naukovykh rozrobok. 2015; 8-34. Ukrainian.