|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (89) - December, 2018 - Pages: 53-58
Prevention of hypovitaminosis and hypomicroelementosis in the university students
Yeltsova L.B.1, Omelchuk S.T.1, Aleksiichuk V.D.1, Petrosian A.A.1
1 O. Bohomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
Objectives: We estimated the frequency of the consumption of the food of vegetable origin in the food intake of the university students for the prevention of hypovitaminosis and hypomicroelementosis states.
Materials and methods: The authors surveyed the students of the 2nd, 4th and 6th study years at O. Bohomolets National Medical University, using the questionnaire, and analyzed the obtained data on the medical students’ food intakes. The study included the data of 858 respondents (570 females and 288 males) aged 18-25 years.
Results: The study represents the results of the estimation of the consumption of food of vegetable origin in the food intake of medical students. The consumption frequency of mentioned products was estimated according to the following grading: consumption once a day or more often, almost every day, once a week, some times a week, once or several times a month, rarely or never. The consumption frequency of such traditional for Ukrainians vegetables, as beet, carrot, cabbage and greenery was estimated. Taking into account national cuisine traditions, consumption of potatoes was assessed separately. Study of the consumption of fruit and berries, bread and bakery products, sweet products (sugar, jam, and honey), cereals, and pasta was performed as well.
Conclusions: Only one third of the female respondents and 15% - 25% of the male ones consume vegetables every day. From 17% (the 2nd year of study) to 25% of the female respondents (the 6thyear of study) and one third of the male respondents, irrespective of the year of study, consume potatoes every day. Up to 40% of the male and 31% of the female respondents consume fruit daily. Bread and bakery products are consumed by up to 40% of the male and 30% of the female respondents daily. Cereals and pasta are consumed by almost 30% of the male and 15-19% of the female respondents every day or almost every day. One third of the male respondents and only 10-12% of the female ones consume sweet products (sugar, jam, honey) daily. In general, 70% of the students’ food intakes don’t comply with the National Guidelines on Nutrition.
consumption frequency, questionnaire, food of vegetable origin, food intake, alimentary diseases, University students
1. Yeltsova L.B. and Omelchuk S.T. Medychni perspektyvy. 2017; 3 : 104–112 (in Ukrainian).
2. Pro zatverdzhennia Norm fiziolohichnykh potreb naselennia Ukrainy v osnovnykh rechovynakh I enerhii : nakaz MOZ Ukrainy ¹ 1073 vid 03.09.2017 [On the Approval of the Norms of the Physiological Needs of the Population of Ukraine in the Main Nutrients and Energy : Order of the Ministry of Health ¹ 1073, 03.09.2017]. URL : http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1206-17 (in Ukrainian).
3. Piven N. Praktykuiuchyi likar. 2018; 1: 39–46 (in Ukrainian).
4. Hryhorenko A. Metodychni rekomendatsii dlia likariv zahalnoi praktyky – simeinoi medytsyny z pryvodu konsultuvannia patsiientiv shchodo osnovnykh zasad zdorovoho kharchuvannia : metodychni rekomendatsii [Methodical Recommendations for General Practitioners of Family Medicine on Counseling Patients Regarding the Basic Principles of Healthy Eating (the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine ¹16 from 14.01.2013]. Kyiv; 2013 : 30 p. (in Ukrainian).
5. Matasar I.T., Tsypryian V.I., Horchakova L.A. et al. Pervynna ta vtorynna profilaktyka alimentarnozalezhnykh zakhvoriuvan : metodychni rekomendatsii [Primary and Secondary Prevention of Alimentary-Dependent Diseases : Methodical Recommendations]. Kyiv ; 2007 : 80 p. (in Ukrainian).
6. Anistratenko T.I., Bilko T.M., Blahodarova O.V. et al. Hihiiena kharchuvannia z osnovamy nutritsiolohii [Hygiene of Nutrition with the Principles of Nutritionology]. Kyiv: Medytsyna; 2007 : 327–372 (in Ukrainian).
7. Shvets O.V. Pitanie i zdorove. 2010 ; 1: 9–14 (in Russian).
8. Omelchuk S.T., Kuzminska O.V., Gulay T.O. and Lymar L.V. General Nutrition : Stady Guide for the 4-th Accreditation Level Medical School Students. Kyiv; 2016 : 146 p.