|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (78) - 2016 - Pages: 39-42
Toxic organo-chlorine compounds in the chlorinated drinking water of the Dnipro basin cities
Prokopov V.O.1, Trush Ye.A.1, Kulish T.V.1, Sobol V.A.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
Objective. We identified and evaluated the factual THM and HAA levels in drinking water under the chlorination (chloramine, chlorine gas) at different stages of water treatment in waterì. We investigated the water of the rivers’ Dnipro and Desna water-supply purified and disinfected with the application of the chlorination with preammoniation. At the metallurgical work’s water-pipe in Zaporizhzhia, water was studied after the purification at the treatment facilities similar to the Kyiv ones, but chlorine gas was used instead of chloramine in water treatment there. 7 volatile and 9 non-volatile OCCs (THM and HAA) were identified in drinking water. The determination was carried out using the standardized methods with the help of the gas chromatograph "Kristalliuks 4000-M ".
Results. Investigations, performed at the Kyiv water pipes, demonstrated a presence of organo-chlorine compounds in drinking water: volatile THMs (chloroform and dichlorobromomethane) and non-volatile OCCs (monochloroacetic and trichloroacetic acids) within the limits of the MAC. Not only the high levels of chloroform (>2 MPC) but also much higher concentrations of monochloroacetic and trichloroacetic acids than at the Kyiv water-supplies were identified in drinking water at the metallurgical work’s water-pipe in Zaporizhzhia.
Conclusions. We established that volatile (THM) and non-volatile (HCS) toxic OCCs were formed under the Dnipro basin water chlorination simultaneously. Chloroform is a prior among the THMs formed in water and monochloroacetic acid (MCAA) - for HAA. The content of HF and MCAA in water of treatment facilities does not exceed the established standards where the chlorination with preammoniation is used. At the concentrations above the allowable levels, application of chlorine gas in water treatment leads to the formation of chloroform and MCAA (in some water samples).
drinking water, water treatment, chlorination (chloramine, chlorine gas), organo-chlorine compounds, volatile THM, non-volatile HAA.
4. Giunter I., Alekseeva L.P., Petranovskaia M.S. Khimiia i tekhnologiia vody.1985 ; 5 : 59-64 (in Russian).
6. Prokopov V.O., Trush Ye.A., Hulenko S.V., Sobol V.A., Kulish T.V. Halohenotstovi kysloty u khlorovanii pytnii vodi yak hihiienichna problema (systematyzatsiia ta analiz svitovoi literatury) [Halogen Acetic Acids in the Chlorinated Drinking Water as a Hygienic Problem (Systematization and Analysis of the World Literature]. In : Hihiiena naselenykh mists [Hygiene of Settlements]. Kyiv ; 2013 ; 61 : 88-99 (in Ukrainian).
7. Prokopov V.A., Shushkovska S.V. Dovk³llia ta zdorovia. 2012 ; 3 (62) : 46-51 (in Russian).
8. Prokopov V.A., Gulenko S.V. Rol khlorirovannoi pitievoi vody v razvitii onkologicheskoi patologii [Role of the Chlorinated Drinking Water in the Development of Oncologic Pathology]. In : Zdorovie i okruzhaiushchaia sreda [Health and Environment]. Minsk ; 2013 ; 22 : 85-89 (in Russian).
9. Prokopov V.O, Zorina O.V., Trush Ye.A., Sobol V.A., Kulish T.V. Naturni doslidzhennia vmistu letkykh toksychnykh KhOS u pytnii vodi raionnykh vodoprovidnykh merezh m. Kyieva [Field Investigations of the Content of Volatile Toxic COS in Drinking Water of the Regional Water-Supply Pipeline Networks of the City of Kyiv]. In : Aktualni pytannia hihiieny ta ekolohichnoi bezpeky Ukrainy [Actual Issues of Hygiene and Ecological Safety of Ukraine]: Abstracts. Kyiv ; 2014 ; 14 : 54 – 57 (in Ukrainian).
10. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Method 552.2 Determination of Haloacetic Acids and Dalapon in Drinking Water by Liquid-liquid Extraction, Derivatization and Gas Chromatography with Electron Capture Detection, Rev. 1.0. Cincinnati, Ohio ; 1995 : 55 p.