|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (78) - 2016 - Pages: 19-23
Radiation-and-hygienic assessment of radiation anxiety of the Ukrainian population in the late phase of the Chornobyl accident
1 STATE INSTITUTION “O.M. MARZIEIEV INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC HEALTH” NAMSU
Objective :We determined a level of knowledge of the Ukrainian people concerning a radiation factor and a perception of the consequences of the Chornobyl accident in the late phase, established a radiation anxiety level of the children and their parents andfound out the attitude of the population to the development of nuclear industry in Ukraine.
Methods :We used the methods of audience survey of the children and correspondence questionary of their parents in Donetsk, Zhytomyr, Kyiv, Rivne, Odesa regions, in Kyiv city and Slavutych town.
Results: A total from 342 to 859 children and their parents were interviewed in each region, we analyzed 3197 questionnaires with the correct answers. In the studied regions of Ukraine the subjective assessments of the consequences of the Chornobyl accident in the late phase by the children and their parents are the evidences of the low level of the knowledge in the field of radiation safety and anti-radiation protection. In connection with a secrecy and lack of the information about radiation accident and real state of radiation situation in the early phase the children (60-73 % for different regions) and their parents (62-75%) consider that information about real consequences of the Chornobyl accident in the late phase of radiation accidents concealed from the public. Maximum amount of the respondents who advocated building of the new NPP units were recorded in Slavutych, Kyiv and Kyiv region. At the same time the respondents in Donetsk and Odesa regions were against such a building. Recorded high levels of radiation anxiety (4.14-4.47 points) in the children and their parents don’t depend on radioactive contamination of the territory. Levels of the radiation anxiety of the population are determined by the lack of knowledge about radiation factor among population and its impact on the health state, inopportune and unauthentic information about the Chornobyl accident and its consequences, lack of sanitary-and-educational work on radiation safety and anti-radiation protection among population.
Chornobyl accident, consequences of the accident, questionnaire survey, radiation anxiety, nuclearindustry
1. Dvadtsyat piat rokiv Chornobylskoi katastrofy. Bezpeka maibutnoho [Twenty Five Years of the Chornobyl Catastrophe. Safety of the Future]. Kyiv : KIM ; 2011 : 356 p. (in Ukrainian).
2. Chornobylska katastrofa v dokumentakh, faktakh ta doliakh liudei : zbirka [The Chornobyl Catastrophe in the Documents, Facts and People’s Fates ]. Kyiv : Azymut-Ukraina ; 2006 : 624 p. (in Ukrainian).
3. Prylypko V.A. Sotsialni naslidky Chornobylskoi katastrofy: rezultaty sotsiolohichnykh doslidzhen 1986-1995 rr. [Social Consequences of theChornobyl Catastrophe: Results of Sociological Studies of 1986-1995]. Kharkiv : Folio ; 1996 : 165-177 (in Ukrainian).
4. Arkhangelskaia G.V. and Zykova I.A.Mezhdunarodnyizhurnalradiatsionnoimeditsiny. 2003 ; 1-2 : 146-150 (in Russian).
5. Zykova I.A. and Arkhangelskaia G.V. Radiatsionnaia gigiena. 2008 ; 1 ( 4) : 65-72 (in Russian).
6. Chornobyl i sotsium. Vyp. 2. Sotsialno-psykholohichna dynamika naslidkiv katastrofy [Chornobyl and Society. Issue 2. Social-Psychological Dynamics of the Consequences of Catastrophe]. Kyiv ; 1995 : 161 p. (in Ukrainian).
7. Ferents V. P. and Prilipko V. A. Vestnik AMN SSSR. 1991 ; 11 : 45-46 (in Russian).
8. Ageeva L.A. Vospriiatie radiatsionnoi opasnosti dlia zdorovia zhiteliam irazlichnykh territorii Belarusi [Perception of Radiation Danger for the Health by the Residents of Different Territories of Belarus]. In : Aktualnye iprognoziruemye narusheniia psikhicheskogo zdorovia posle yadernoi katastrofy v Chernobyle : materialy konf. [Topical and Prognosticating Disorders of Mental Health after the Nuclear Catastrophe in Chernobyl : Mater. Intern. Conf.]. Kiev ; 1995 : 128-128 (in Russian).
9. Arkhangelskaia G.V. and Zykova I.A. Radiatsionnaia gigiena. 2008 ; 1 (3) : 4-10 (in Russian).
10. Saint-Petersburg SRI of Radiation Hygiene Monitoring sotsialno-psikhologicheskikh effektov u naseleniia radioaktivno-zagriaznennykh territorii : posobie dlia vrachei [Monitoring of Social-Psychologic Effects in the Population of the Radioactive-Contaminated Territories: Manual for Physicians]. Moscow ; 1999 : 48 p. (in Russian).