|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 3 (79) - 2016 - Pages: 4-9
Ñomparative assessment of the toxicological properties of amphoteric surfactants
Yalovenko O.I.1, Golichenkov Î.M.1, Raietska O.V.1, Liashenko V.I.1, Maistrenko Z.Yu.1, Umanets H.P.1, Kucherenko O.Yu.1, Babii V.F.1, Kondratenko O.Ye.1, Pimushyna M.V.1, Vinarska O.I.1, Hryhorenko L.Ye.1, Moldavska N.B.1, Tomashevska L.A.1, Didyk N.V., Lemeshko L.P.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
ÓÄÊ: 543.395 : 661.185.3 : 615.9
Objective. We performed a comparative study of the toxicological properties of different amphoteric surfactants for the prognostication of their harmful effect at the use of a cosmetic cleanser in the composition.
Materials and methods. Four amphoteric surfactants: Cocoamphodiacetate, Coco-betain, Cocamodopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate were studied in the work. Research was performed by the method of the in vitro assessment of cytotoxicity; classic toxicological method of the determination of toxicity integral indices; study of transdermal effect of the surfactants on guinea-pigs during 4 months with the assessment of hematological, immunological and biochemical indices of blood.
Results and ñonclusions. We experimentally proved that all studied amphoteric surfactants had cytotoxic and dermaresorptive properties of different degrees. Immunotoxic effect (suppression and sensibilization) was determined to be a characteristic feature of the biological effect of the amphoteric surfactants at their transdermal effect. Cocamodopropyl Betaine was the most toxic, it is a single among studied amphoteric surfactants to cause a development of hypersensitiveness of immediate and delayed types. Cocoamphodiacetate and Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate are the most safe. Their resorptive effect was proved by immunotoxic effect only.
amphoteric surfactants, in vitro, in vivo methods, cytotoxic, immunotoxic, absorption, sensitization.
1. Ernandes E.I. (ed.) Sukhaia kozha [Dry Skin ]. Moscow : Kosmetika i meditsina ; 2012 : 67 - 70 p. (in Russian).
3. Gussens A. Kosmetika i meditsina. 2011 ; 4 : 48 – 58 (in Russian).
4. Ekspress-metod otsenki obshchetoksicheskogo i kozhno-razdrazhaiushchego deistviia parfiumerno-kosmeticheskoi produktsii in vitro (na kulture podvizhnykh kletok) : metod. rekomendatsii ¹ 29 FTs/394 [Express Method for the Assessment of Generally Toxic and Skin-Irritative Effect of Perfumery and Cosmetic Products in vitro (on the Culture of Mobile Cells]. Moscow : Minzdrav RF ; 2002 : 10 p. (in Russian).
5. Voloshchenko O.I., Raietska O.V., Yalovenko O.I., Kuzmina A.I. Pat. ¹ 28727b, UA, MPK (2006)A61V 10/00. Sposib otsinky tsytotoksychnoi dii zasobiv na osnovi poverkhnevo-aktyvnykh rechovyn [Method of the Assessment of the Cytotoxic Effect of the Agents Based on the Surfactants]. ¹ U 200706922 ; zayavl. 19.06.07; opubl. 25.12.2007, Byul. ¹ 21 (in Ukrainian).
6. Yalovenko O.I., Raietska O.V., Holichenkov O.M., Babii V.F., Kondratenko O.Ye. Pimushyna M.V. Dovkillia i zdorovia. 2014 ; 3 (70) : 15 – 18 (in Ukrainian).
7. Holichenkov O.M., Raietska O.V., Yalovenko O.I. et al. Toksykoloho-hihiienichna kharakterystyka suchasnykh poverkhnevo-aktyvnykh rechovyn ta rozrobka profilaktychnykh zakhodiv shchodo yikh mozhlyvoho vplyvu na orhanizm [Toxicological-and-Hygienic Characteristic of Modern Surfactants and Development of the Preventive Measures for their Possible Impact on the Organism]. In : Aktualni pytannia zakhystu dovkillia ta zdorovia naselennia Ukrainy (rezultaty naukovykh rozrobok 2014 r.) [Topic Issues of the Protection of the Environment and Health of the Population of Ukraine (Results of the Scientific Developments, 2014]. Kyiv ; 2015 : 309-334 (in Ukrainian).
8. Raetska O.V., Yalovenko O.I. Kuzmina A.I. Hostra toksychnist yak odyn iz kryteriivsystematyzatsii poverkhnevo-aktyvnykh rechovyn [Acute Toxicity as One of the Criteria of the Systematization of the Surfactants]. In : Hihiiena naselenykh mists [Hygiene of Settlements]. Kyiv ; 2013 ; 62 : 136 – 139 (in Ukrainian).