|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (87) - June, 2018 - Pages: 48-53
Ecological-and-hygienic estimation of domestic waste transportation impact on the landfills' air environment
Malyshevska O.1, Harkavyi S.2, Myshchenko I.1, Pohorilyi M.1, Tokar I.1, Hrechukch L.1
1 Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University
2 O.O. Bohomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
Objective: We carried out ecological-and-hygienic assessment of the impact of the process of burial disposal of solid household wasteonthe landfills on the environment and human.
Materials and methods: We analyzed the procedure of technological operations of burial disposal of household waste on an example of the municipal company "Polyhon TPV" in Ivano-Frankivsk oblast. The results were obtained as a result of field instrumental experiments by the specialists and with the help of the equipment of Ivano-Frankivsk Regional Laboratory Center of the Ministry of Health Care of Ukrainefor the scientific-and-research work N 0117U004237. Analysis of air dust content was performed with the device AFA-VP-20; determination of chemicals’ concentrations in ambient air was done with the help of electric aspirator ÝÀ1212, Richter’s and Zaitsev’s absorption chambers, photoelectric colorimeter KFK-2, gas chromatograph 2000 Crystal M. Calculations were conducted according to “The method of calculation of the emissions of the pollutants and greenhouse gases from vehicles into the atmosphere".
Results and discussion: Excess of MPCs and MPLs were indicated for all studied physical and chemical factors. In particular, excess of MPC for carcinogenic, mutagenic and highly toxic substances were: for formaldehyde - up to 1967 times; for lead - up to 120,000 times; for benz(o)pyrene - up to 793 times.
Conclusions and prospects: The greatest emission of the pollutants in ambient air of the settlements is caused by the processes of unloading and compacting of waste; the maximum pollution is observed from the longest process, waste compacting. The main reason of waste excess is a physical deterioration of the vehicles, which transport solid waste to the landfill. The prospect direction of further research is the development and implementation of the technologies, reducing the amount of waste, exported for burial disposal and, in particular, polymers, the heaviest domestic refuse component.
municipal hygiene, polymer waste, waste burial disposal, vehicle’s emissions
1. Transport Energy and CO2: Moving Tovard Sustainability. 113rd International TASI - FORUM, 9 October 2009. 25 p.
3. Energy Technology Perspectives. Scenarios and Strategies to 2050. Paris : International EnergyAgency, 2010 : 710 p.
4. Anisimov Å.Å. Molodoy uchenyi. 2014 ; 21 : 71–72 (in Russian).
6. Bystrykh V.V. Gigiena I sanitariia. 2002 ; 5 : 8 – 11 (in Russian).
7. Maimulov V.G. and Patsiuk N.À. Gigiena I sanitariia. 2004 ; 2 : 31-33 (in Russian).
8. Novikova I.I. and Ogleznev G.À. Gigiena I sanitariia. 2003 ; 3 : 66-68 (in Russian).
9. Kyle A.D., Wright C.C., Caldwell J.C. et al. Public Health Persp. 2001 ; 1 : 32-44.
10. McMichael A. J. Bull. WorldHealthOrgan. 2000 ; 9 : 1117-1126.
11. LeTerte A., Medina S., Samoli E. et al. J. Epidemiol. ànd Community Health. 2002 ; 10 : 773-779.
12. Boev V.M., Kuksanov V.F. and Bystryh V.V. Khimicheskie kantserogeny sredy obitaniia i zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniia [Chemical Carcinogens of Habitat and Malignant Neoplasms]. Moscow : Meditsina; 2002 : 343 p. (in Russian).
13. Mudryi I.V. Gigiena I sanitariia. 2008 ; 4 : 32-37 (in Russian).
14. Onishchenko G.G., Novikov S. M., Rakhmanin Yu. A., Avaliani S.L. and Bushtueva Ê.À. Osnovy otsenki riska dlia zdorovia naseleniya pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh veshchestv, zagriazniaiushchikh okruzhaiushchuyu sredu [Basics of the Assessment of the Population’s Health Risk under Effect of Chemicals Contaminating the Environment]. Moscow; 2002 : 408. (in Russian).
15. Metodyka rozrakhunku vykydiv zabrudniuiuchykh rechovyn ta parnykovykh haziv u povitria vid transportnykh zasobiv. Nakaz Derzhavnoho komitetu statystyky Ukrainy vid 13. 11. 2008 r. ¹ 452 iz zminamy i dopovnenniamy [Methodology for the Calculation of the Emissions of Pollutants and Greenhouse Gases from the Vehicles in the Air] : Order of the State Statistics Committee of Ukraine, 13.11.2008 ¹ 452 with Amendments and Supplements. (in Ukrainian). URL : http://ukrstat.org/uk/metod_polog/metod_doc/2008/452/metod.htm
16. Komunalne pidpryiemstvo “Polihon TPV” v Ivano-Frankivskii oblasti ["Poligon waste" Municipal Enterprise in Ivano-Frankivsk oblast]. (in Ukrainian). URL : http://www.mvk.if.ua/kppoligon
17. Harkavyi S.S. Hihiienichna otsinka dynamiky mihratsii metyltretbutylovoho efiru v grunti [Hygienic Estimation of the Migration of Methyltertiarybutyl Ether in Soil : Abstract of the Dissertation to the Degree of the Candidate of Medical Sciences]. Kyiv; 2012 : 22 p. (in Ukrainian).