|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (101) - December, 2021 - Pages: 34-41
Application of uv radiators for disinfection of air and surfaces in premises
Chernysh Î.Î.1, Surmasheva Î.V.1, Molchanets Î.V.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU", Kyiv
Objective: We compared the antimicrobial efficacy of different types of UV radiators.
Materials and methods: In the work, we used the ultraviolet radiators of various types and manufacturers recommended for disinfection of air and surfaces of the premises. The effectiveness of surface disinfection from the test microorganisms Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa was established by the Regulations “Methods for testing disinfectants to assess their safety and effectiveness". We determined a total number of aerobic microorganisms and molds according to the State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine 2.0, p. 2.6.12.
Results: The efficacy of the use of ultraviolet radiation for disinfection of the surfaces with the most resistant representatives of gram-negative and gram-positive microorganisms using a portable "Individual ultraviolet irradiator ALED UVC-1W" for 1 min. was established. The disinfection effect was 4.02 lg for S. aureus and 4.08 lg for P. aeruginosa.
The effective action of the bactericidal ultraviolet radiation with the use of open-type radiators (with louvers) "UV-BLAZE" was demonstrated. A decrease of the total number of microorganisms, including molds in the air, by a factor of 36 (room ¹ 1) and 136 (room ¹ 2) was noted. Disinfection of the surfaces in the premises for the similar indicators was 98.6% and 99.5%, respectively.
A decrease in the level of microbiological air pollution in the premises, when using LED radiation with the open-type ALED T5NXXX UVC-5W-01 luminaires for a long period of time (8 hours), was noted. The disinfection efficacy was 77% for bacteria and 83.3% for fungi.
ultraviolet radiation, antimicrobial effect, disinfection, total number of microorganisms, molds, surfaces, air
2. Buonanno M., Welch D., Shuryak I. and Brenner D.J. Far-UVC Light (222 Nm) Efficiently and Safely Inactivates Airborne Human Coronaviruses. Sci. Rep. 2020 ; 10 (1) : 10285. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-67211-2
3. Hiroki Kitagawa, Toshihito Nomura, Tanuza Nazmul, Norifumi Shigemoto, Takemasa Sakaguchi and Hiroki Ohge. Effectiveness of 222-nm Ultraviolet Light on Disinfecting SARS-CoV-2 Surface Contamination. AJIC. 2021 ; 49 (3) : 299-301. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2020.08.022
4. Raeiszade M. and Adeli B. A Critical Review on Ultraviolet Disinfection Systems against COVID19 Outbreak: Applicability, Validation, and Safety Considerations. ACS Photonics. 2020 ; 7 (11) : 2941-2951. DOI: 10.1021 / acsphotonics.0c01245. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsphotonics.0c01245
6. Martino V., Ochsner K., Peters P., Zitomer D.H. and Mayer B.K. Virus and Bacteria Inactivation Using Ultraviolet Light-Emitting Diodes. Environmental Engineering Science. 2021 ; 38 (6). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/ees.2020.0092
8. Thurman R.B., Gerba C.P. and Bitton G. The Molecular Mechanisms of Copper and Silver Ion Disinfection of Bacteria and Viruses. Crit. Rev. Environ. Control. 1989 ; 18 : 295-315. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10643388909388351
9. Ahearn D.G., Simmons R.B., Switzer K.F., Ajello L. and Pierson D.L. Colonization by Cladosporium Spp. of Painted Metal Surfaces Associated with Heating and Air Conditioning Systems. J. Ind. Microbiol. 1991 ; 8 : 277. DOI: https://doi.org/ 10.1007/BF01576067
10. Pro zatverdzhennia sanitarno-protyepidemichnykh pravyl i norm vykorystannia ultrafioletovoho bakterytsydnoho vyprominiuvannia dlia znezarazhennia povitria ta dezinfektsii poverkhon v prymishchenniakh zakladiv okhorony zdorovia ta ustanov/zakladiv nadannia sotsialnykh posluh/sotsialnoho zakhystu naselennia : Nakaz MOZ Ukrainy vid 06.05.2021 ¹ 882 [On the Approval of Sanitary and Anti-Epidemic Rules and Norms for the Use of Ultraviolet Bactericidal Radiation for Air and Surface Disinfection in the Health Care Premises and Institutions / Institutions of Social Services / Social Protection of the Population: Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, 06.05.2021, No 882]. (in Ukrainian). URL : https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0978-21#Text
11. Metody ispytaniy dezinfektsionnykh sredstv dlya otsenki ikh bezopasnosti i effektivnosti : metodicheskie ukazaniya [Testing Methods for Disinfectants to Assess their Safety and Effectiveness: Guidelines]. Moscow : Ministry of Health of RF; 1998 (in Russian).
12. Metodychni rekomendatsii shchodo klasyfikatsii vyrobnychykh prymishchen nesterylnykh likarskykh zasobiv za dopustymym vmistom mikroorhanizmiv ta chastok u povitri [Guidelines on Classification of Production Premises of Non-Sterile Medicines According to the Permissible Content of Microorganisms and Particles in the Air]. In : Pro zatverdzhennia metodychnykh rekomendatsii shchodo vykonannia sanitarno-hihiienichnykh vymoh ta provedennia mikrobiolohichnoho kontroliu u vyrobnytstvi nesterylnykh likarskykh zasobiv : nakaz MOZ Ukrainy ¹ 502 vid 14.12.2001 [About Statement of Guidelines on the Implementation of Sanitary-and-Hygienic Requirements and Microbiological Control in Production of Non-Sterile Medicines: Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No502, 14.12.2001]. (in Ukrainian). URL : https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v0502282-01#Text