|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 4 (93) - 2019 - Pages: 60-63
Assessment of the toxicity of dishwashing detergents for the treatment of children’s wares on the spermatozoid test-culture
Yalovenko O.I.1, Raietska O.V.1, Holichenkov O.M.1, Liashenko V.I.1, Kondratenko O.Ye.1, Kushch M.V.1, Spaska Yu.S.1, Kucherenko O.Yu.1, Umanets G.P.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
Objectives: We determined the informativeness and feasibility of the use of rapid method for the testing of the toxicity of the products on the culture of motile cells (spermatozoids) at the use in the program for the assessment of the safety of dishwashing detergents for the treatment of children’s wares.
Materials and methods: In the investigation we used 23 dishwashing detergents for the treatment of the children’s wares, outbred rats, guinea pigs, bull spermatozoid culture. Methods: alternative - express method for the toxicity assessment with a use of bull spermatozoids as a test object; classical - an assessment of acute toxicity at the injection into the stomach, application on the skin, skin irritating effect.
Results and discussion: It was established in the in vitro investigations that the 17 detergents of the 23 ones have a toxicity index in the range of 70% < (²t) < 120%, i.e. don’t manifest general toxic and skin-irritating effects. For the 6 detergents, ²t >120%. The hazard class (hazard class 4) and the absence of skin-irritating effect at a single application on the skin of these 6 detergents were established in the investigation by the classical methods on the animals. Äëÿ 6 çàñîá³â - ²t > 120 %.
Conclusions: All the studied agents belong to the 4th hazard class and do not have the skin irritating effect at a single application on the skin. The basic toxicological parameters (acute toxicity when injected into the stomach, application on the skin, and skin irritating effect) of the 17 studied agents of the 23 ones were determined without testing on the laboratory animals with the help of the in vitro method (on a bull spermatozoid culture), which indicates the feasibility of the use of this method at the screening stage in the examination of the safety of dishwashing detergents for the treatment of children’s wares.
dishwashing detergents, wares for children, method on the culture of spermatozoa of bull, toxicity assessment, safety
1. Lebedeva À.Ì., Gindiuk N.Ò., Mikhnovich E.Ì. Zdorovie I okruzhayushchaia sreda. 2015 ; 2 (25) : 116 – 119 (in Russian).
2. Federalnyi tsentr Gossanepidnadzora Ministerstva zdravookhraneniya Rossiyskoy Federatsii. Otsenka toksichnosti tovarov bytovoi khimii. Ekspress-metod otsenki toksichnosti moyushchikh sredstv s ispolzovaniem v kachestve test-obekta spermy krupnogo rogatogo skota : metodicheskie rekomendatsii ÌR 29 FTs/4746 [Federal Center for Sanitary and Epidemiological Surveillance of the Ministry of Public Health of the Russian Federation. Assessment of the Toxicity of Household Chemicals. Express Method for the Assessment of the Toxicity of the Detergents Using Cattle Sperm as a Test Object: Guidelines MR 29 FTs / 4746]. Ìoscow ; 2002 : 8 p. (in Russian).
3. K postanovke issledovaniy dlia obosnovaniya sanitarnykh standartov vrednykh veshchestv v vozdukhe rabochey zony : metodicheskie ukazaniya MU 2163-80 [For the Formulation of the Investigations to Rationalize the Sanitary Standards of Harmful Substances in the Air of the Working Area: Methodical Guidelines MG 2163-80]. Moscow; 1980 : 21 p. (in Russian).
4. Otsenka vozdeystviya vrednykh khimicheskikh soedineniy na kozhnye pokrovy I obosnovanie predelno-dopustimykh urovnei zagriazneniya kozhy: metodicheskie ukazaniya MU 2102-79 [Assessment of the Effects of Harmful Chemical Compounds on the Skin and Rationalization of Maximum Allowable Levels of Skin Contamination: Methodical Guidelines MG 2102-79]. Ìoscow ; 1979 : 23 p. (in Russian).
5. Eskov À.P., Kayumov R.I. and Sokolov À.Å. Toksikologicheskiy vestnik. 2003 ; 5 : 25 – 28 (in Russian).
6. Yalovenko Î.²., Raietska Î.V., Holichenkov Î.Ì., Babii V.F., Kondratenko Î.Ye. and Pimushyna Ì.V. Dovkillia ta zdorovia. 2014 ; 3 (70) : 15 – 18 (in Ukrainian).