|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 1 (77) - 2016 - Pages: 9-13
Measures for prevention and treatment of metabolic syndrome in the population
Korzun V.N.1, Harkusha S.L.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
ÓÄÊ: 616-008 : 613.2
We developed a food intake with the application of vegetable oil-cakes for the optimization of the diet therapy to prevent a metabolic syndrome and assessed the impact of the developed food intake and the Mediterranean diet on the prevention of the complications of metabolic syndrome.
Materials and Methods. A secondary raw material of oil crops (oil-cakes) is a valuable source of macro- and microelements, vitamins, dietary fibers. Oil cake is a solid residue of oilseeds after removal of oil from them by the extraction process. It is a byproduct of vegetable oil production. Thus, the oil–cakes of the fruits of milk thistle, flax seeds, oats, pumpkin, wheat, wheat germs with the grape stones are a source of protein with a high biological value and separate essential amino acids, dietary fibers (cellulose, pectins, hemicellulose, lignin), fats (including polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3, omega-6, omega-9), carotenoids, tocopherols, vitamins A, C, E, B group, beta-carotene, macro- and microelements Ca, P, K, S , Mg, Cl, Zn, Fe, Mn, Cu, Se, Br, F, I, Ni, and others. We studied the most widespread diets directed to the reduction of body mass.
Results. A reduction of body mass by 3-4 kg per month occurred in the patients with MS who consumed a diet with the oil-cakes for 6 months, to the end of observation it decreased by 21.9%, systolic and diastolic blood pressure decreased by 16,6-18,1%, blood glucose - by 18.9%, total serum cholesterol – by 33.2%. Indices of triglycerids, lipoprotein cholesterol of low and very low density decreased. As a result of weight loss, normalization of the indices of lipid, carbohydrate blood spectrum, levels of systolic and diastolic arterial pressure in patients of the second group, consumed a diet with oil-cakes, a general physical and emotional state significantly improved, a tolerance of physical loads increased.
obesity, metabolic syndrome, hypertension, meals, diets
1. Mitchenko O.I., Karpachov V.V. Diahnostyka i likuvannia metabolichnoho syndromu, tsukrovoho diabetu, prediabetu i sertsevo-sudynnykh zakhvoriuvan: rekomendatsii Asotsiatsii kardiolohiv Ukrainy ta Asotsiatsii endokrynolohiv Ukrainy [Diagnosis and Treatment of Metabolic Syndrome, Diabetes Mellitus, Prediabetes, and Cardiovascular Diseases: Recommendations of the Association of the Cardiologists of Ukraine and the Association of the Endocrinologists of Ukraine]. In : V.M. Kovalenko, M.I. Lutai (eds.) Sertsevo-sudynni zakhvoryuvannia: rekomendatsii z diahnostyky, profilaktyky ta likuvannia [Cardiovascular Diseases: Recommendations for Diagnosis, Prophylaxis, and Treatment ]. Kyiv : Morion; 2011 : 68-79 (in Ukrainian).
2. Bratus V.V., Taleva T.V., Shumakov V.A. Ozhirenie, insulinorezistentnost, metabolicheskii sindrom: fundamentalnye i klinicheskie aspekty [Obesity, Insulin Resistance, Metabolic Syndrome: Fundamental and Clinical Aspects]. Kiev : Chetverta khvylia; 2009 : 416 p. (in Russian).
3. Sedletskii Yu.I. Novosti meditsiny i farmatsii. 2009 ; 21 (301) : 12-14 (in Russian).
5. Ìendis S., Puska P., Norrving B. (eds.) Global Atlas on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Control. Geneva : WHO ; 2011 : 156 p.
7. Kharchenko N.V., Anokhina S.V., Boiko S.V. Suchasna hastroenterolohiia. 2006 ; 1(27) : 36–39 (in Ukrainian).
8. Antonenko A.V., Mykhailyk V.S. Suchasni problemy toksykolohii, kharchovoi ta khimichnoi bezpeky. 2013 ; 4 : 59-63 (in Ukrainian).
9. Garkusha S.L. Evraziiskii soiuz uchenykh. 2015 ; 9 (18) ; P. 4 : 72-76 (in Russian).