|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 2 (87) - June, 2018 - Pages: 71-75
Hygienic assessment of the effect of emissions from modern pig farms to atmospheric air pollution
Turos O.1, Slautenko Ye.1, Mykhina L.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz³eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
Background: Features of ambient air pollution at the border of the sanitary protection zone and the residential area with the emissions from modern powerful pig complexes are considered in the example of the pig complex with an annual capacity of 30 thousand heads.
Objective: We assessed the ambient air pollution with the emissions from livestock farms in the example of the farms for pigs’ breeding (pig complexes) with a capacityof 30 thousand heads per year.
Materials and methods: We used the method of bibliographic and bibliosemantic search; we performed field instrumental measurements of the concentration of the pollutants in the emissions from stationary sources of contamination of the pig complexes and in ambient air of the settlements.
Results: The maximum concentrations of pollutants in the content of the emissions of pig complex (hydrogensulphide, ammonia, solidsuspended particles (PM)) were established not to exceed the maximum allowable emission.
The average concentrations of the pollutants in ambient air in terms of the maximum single maximum allowable concentration (MPCotm) are exceeded only by hydrogensulfide (at a distance of upto 200 m - 2.5 MPCotm, at a distance of 500 m - 2.4 MPCotm, at 1000 m - 5 MPCotm), no excesses for other substances (ammonia, PM) were detected.
Conclusions: The obtained results testify about absence of ambient air pollution with ammonia and PM emissions from pig complexes and its pollution with hydrogensulphide in concentrations, exceeding MPCotm, depending on distance (200, 500 and 1000 m).
In addition, the obtained results make it possible to reduce the normative sizes of sanitary-and-protective zones of livestock complexes under condition of the use of modern production technologies for the maintenance and fattening of pigs, the organization of the production ventilation systems and the technological process of livestock breeding which reduce the emission of hydrogensulfide to the level of the standard MPCotm.
ambient air, pigfarms, chemical substances, mathematical modeling
1. Svynarski pidpryiemstva (kompleksy, fermy, malifermy) [Pig Farms (Complexes, Farms, Small Farms) : VNTP-APK-02.05] / Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine. Kyiv ; 2005 : 98 p. (in Ukrainian).
2. Slautenko Ye.H. Medychni perspektyvy. 2018 ; 1 : 96-97 (in Ukrainian).
3. Shkuro V.V., Feshchenko K.D., Makhniuk V.Ì., Mohilnyi S.Ì. Suchasni hihienichni aspekty funktsionuvannia tvarynnytskykh kompleksiv v Ukraini [Modern hygienic aspects of the functioning of livestock complexes in Ukraine]. In : Hihiena naselenykh mists [Hygiene of Settlements]. Kyiv, 2009 ; 53 : 37–46 (in Ukrainian).
4. Falomeiev V.Z., Sahlo Î. F. and Pidtereba Î.². Visnyk Poltavskoi derzhavnoi ahrarnoi akademii. 2005 ; 3 : 64–66 (in Ukrainian).
5. ÊNÄ 211.2.3.063-98 Metrolohichne zabezpechennia. Vidbir prob promyslovykh vykydiv : Instruktsiia [KND 211.2.3.063-98 Metrological Support. Sampling of the Industrial Emissions : Instruction]. P.10-15. (in Ukrainian). URL : http://ecopravo.org.ua/2011/07/15/knd-211-2-3-063-98/
6. RD50-21 0-80 Metodicheskie ukazaniia po vnedreniiu GOST 17.2.3.02-78 “Okhrana prirody. Atmosfera. Pravila ustanovleniya predelno dopustimykh vybrosov vrednykh veshchestv v atmosferu promyshlennymi predpriyatiyami” [Guidance Document 50-21-80 Methodical Instructions on the Implementation of the State Standards 17.2.3.02-78 “Protection of Nature. Atmosphere. Rules for the Establishment of Maximum Allowable Emissions of Hazardous Substances in the Atmosphere of the Industrial Enterprises“]. Ìoscow : Izdatelstvo standartov ; 1980 : 89-94 ; 105-112 (in Russian).
7. Pro zatverdzhennia normatyviv hranychno dopustymykh vykydiv zabrudniuiuchykh rechovyn iz statsionarnykh dzherel : Nakaz Minpryrody Ukrainy ¹ 309 vid 27.06.2006 r. [On the Adoption of the Standards of Maximum Allowable Emissions from the Stationary Sources : Order of the Ministry of Nature of Ukraine N309, 27.06.2006]. (in Ukrainian). URL : http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0912-06
9. Turos Î.². Mozhlyvosti vykorystannia metodolohii otsinky ryzyku v poperedzhuvalnomu ta potochnomu sanitarnomu nahliadi [Possibilities of the Use of the Methodology for Risk Assessment in Preventive and Routine Sanitary Inspection]. In : Planuvannia ta zabudova naselenykh mists: aktualni sanitarno-hihiienichni ta ekolohichni problem I shliakhy ikh vyrishennia [Planning and Building of the Settlements: Actual Sanitary-and-Hygienic and Ecological Problems and the Ways for their Solution : Conf. Abstracs]. Êyiv, 2007 : 25-26 (in Ukrainian).
10. Derzhavni sanitarni pravyla okhorony atmosfernoho povitria naselenykh mists (vid zabrudnennia khimichnymy ta biolohichnymy rechovynamy) : DSP-201-97 [State Sanitary Rules for the Protection of Ambient Air of the Settlements (from the Contamination with Chemical and Biological Substances) : DSP-201-97]. Êyiv ; 1997 : 57 p. (in Ukrainian).
11. Ragoysha À.À. Biulleten khimicheskoy informatsii. 2009 ; 1 : 6-8 (in Russian).
12. Review of the Reference Dose and Reference Concentration Process. EPA/630/P-02/002F, December 2002 Final Report. 2002 : 23-28.