|Environment & Health||ISSN: 2077-7477 eISSN: 2077-7485
No: 3 (83) - 2017 - Pages: 4-8
Biological action of chloroform and monochloroacetic acid drinking water on the organism of the experimental animals
Prokopov V.O.1, Tomashevska L.A.1, Lipovetskŗ O.B.1, Kulish T.V.1, Kravchun T.Ye.1, Tsytsyruk V.S.1
1 State Institution "O.M. Marz≥eiev Institute for Public Health of the NAMSU"
”ń : 614.777:628.166:546.121
Objective: We determined the specific features of the biological action of chloroform and monochloroacetic acid with drinking water on the organism of the experimental animals according to the biochemical parameters.
Materials and methods: A 6-month sanitary-and-toxicological experiment was performed using 10 groups of white, mongrel rats: 1 Ė control (they were given artesian water), 6 experimental groups drank water with chloroform, monochloroacetic acid, and their combination at levels 3 and 5 MPC, respectively, and 3 experimental groups that consumed drinking water with a standard content of both isolated substances and their combinations. The functional state of the animal body was assessed by the change in creatinine content, aminotransferase and alkaline phosphatase activity in serum and blood plasma.
Results: Drinking water with the content of chloroform (CF) and monochloroacetic acid (MCAA) at the level of 1 MPC of both individual substances and their combination did not cause significant changes in the biochemical indices of the experimental animals. The dose-time dependence of changes in biochemical indices was revealed especially in the groups of animals drinking water with CF content at the level of 3 and 5 MPC and a combination of CF and MCAA (3 and 5 MPC). When drinking water is used with a combination of CF and MCAA the changes in biochemical parameters take place primarily due to the toxic effect of chloroform.
The toxic effect of CF and MCAA in the excess concentrations causes changes in metabolic processes in the organism of animals, is manifested by the significant changes in the biochemical parameters of the blood, and, with an increase in the exposure time, can lead to the emergence of pathological processes in organs sensitive to the action of organochlorine compound (liver, kidney, heart).
sanitary-and-toxicological experiment, experimental animals, biological action, organochlorine compounds, chloroform, monochloroacetic acid, creatinine, aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase, alkaline phosphatase
2. Prokopov V.A. and Shushkovskaia S.V. Dovk≥llia ta zdorovia. 2012 ; 3 (62) : 46-51 (in Russian).
3. Chernichenko I.A., Balenko N.V. and Litvichenko O.N. Gigiena i sanitariia. 2009 ; 3 : 28-33 (in Russian).
4. Prokopov V.O. Pytna voda Ukrainy: medyko-ekolohichni ta sanitarno-hihiienichni aspekty [Drinking Water of Ukraine: Medico-Ecological and Sanitary-and-Hygienic Aspects]. Kyiv : Meditsyna, 2016 : 400 p. (in Ukrainian).
5. Prokopov V.A., Trush E.A., Kulish T.V. and Sobol V.A. Sravnitelnaia gigienicheskaia otsenka soderzhaniia toksicheskikh letuchikh i neletuchikh khlororganicheskikh soedineniy v vodoprovodnoy pitievoy vode [Comparative Hygienic Assessment of the Content of Toxic Volatile and Nonvolatile Organo-Chlorine Compounds in Tap Drinking Water]. In : H≥h≥ena naselenykh m≥sts [Hygiene of Settlements]. Kyiv ; 2015 ; 65 : 44-50 (in Russian).
7. Monochloroacetic Acid in Drinking Water: Background Document for Development of WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality. Geneve : WHO ; 2004 : 17 p.
8. Prokopov V.O., Trush Ye.A., Kulish T.V. and Sobol V.A. Doslidzhennia vplyvu okremykh faktoriv na protses utvorennia letkykh ta neletkykh khlororhanichnykh spoluk v pytnii vodi [Study of the Impact of Separate Factors on the Process of the Formation of Volatile and Nonvolatile Compounds in Drinking Water ]. In : Aktualni pytannia hihiieny ta ekolohichnoi bezpeky Ukrainy : tezy konf. [Actual Issues of Hygiene and Ecological Safety of Ukraine : Coll. Report Abs. Sci.-Pract .Conf. (The Twelfth Marzeievís Reading ]. Kyiv ; 2016 : 178-180 (in Ukrainian).
9. Prokopov V.O., Trush Ye.A., Kulish T.V. and Sobol V.A. Utvorennia letkykh ta neletkykh khlororhanichnykh spoluk pry obrobtsi pryrodnoi vody riznymy khlor okysnykamy [Formation of Volatile and Non-Volatile Organo-Chlorine Compounds at the Treating of Native Water with Different Oxidants]. In : Aktualni pytannia hihiieny ta ekolohichnoi bezpeky Ukrainy : tezy konf. [Actual Issues of Hygiene and Ecological Safety of Ukraine : Coll. Report Abs. Sci.-Pract .Conf. (The Twelfth Marzeievís Reading]. Kyiv ; 2016 :183-186 (in Ukrainian).
10. Principles and Methods for Assessing Direct Immunotoxicity Associated with Exposure to Chemicals. Geneva : WHO; 1996 : 390 ū.
11. Pokrovskiy A.A. Biokhimicheskie metody issledovaniia v klinike [Biochemical Methods for Study in Clinic]. Moscow : Meditsina ; 1969 : 558 p. (in Russian).
12. Antomonov M.Yu. Matematicheskaia obrabotka i analiz mediko-biologicheskikh dannykh [Mathematical Processing and Analysis of Medico-Biological Data]. Kiev ; 2006 : 558 p. (in Russian).